We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Arabic phrases

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
Basic Arabic phrases

Karen,

Just wondering if we could get a thread started on the subject of learning a little of the language. Most of us would probably never be able to learn more than the basics, but a little goes a long way...

Here's a few to start with..

Good Morning

Goodbye

Please

Thankyou

I would like a (Barrel of) beer please.

...if you could supply translations for these then maybe people could suggest other phrases/words that may come in useful.

Cheers,

Bob

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Hi Bob! I already tried that (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k246…) but only one person showed any interest [thanks, Kathy!!] so I gave up..... :-(

However I'm willing to keep it going if there's enough demand.

Ana taht omrukum... I'm at your service!

And as for your bar order.... i-DEE-nee si-TEEN birra min FAD-lak

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

That's a shame -I wonder if we could get the forum administrators to make it a sticky topic so that it will always appear at the top of the list and therefore be more visible to newer members.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Karen,

Just followed your link and found out why I hadn't seen it before - it was in the Egypt Forum, not the Sharm forum.

While this makes perfect sense, it was far too logical for my addled brain.

I'll read your post a couple of times and try to digest it.

Thanks,

Bob

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

There is life in Egypt beyond Sharm you know!!! LOL! I don't know about you Bob, but when I open Trip Advisor I get a chronological listing of all posts in all categories. Maybe yours is set up differently to only show Sharm??? ;-)

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Interestingly the Egypt Forum seems to consist of:

Two Thirds:

Sinai (Sharm, Taba, Dahab, Nuwiba) + Hurghada ... with 75% of this category going to Sharm El Sheikh

One Third:

Cairo + Upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel)

Very little:

Alexandria or anywhere else in Egypt.

No one seems interested in the oases (Wahat) in the western desert: Baharia, Siwa, Farafra etc....

Marsa Allam apparently is yet to be discovered...

The north western coast: from Alamein to Marsa Matrouh and beyond, Egypt has so far done little to make it attractive to serious international tourism (same as Tunisia, Malta and others)... the Tui Group has start some developments in the area and Movenpick has a resort in Alamein.

The most frequent general questions:

(I which TripAdvisor would come up with a way to keep answers to them permanently displayed at the start of the forum)

* Currency (what to bring, ATM and exchange)

* What to where

* How is the weather / temperature during xxxxx

* How to go from Cairo to Luxor

* Can I visit Cairo from .... somewhere in Sinai... on a day trip and how

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Typos:

I wish (not I which)

What to wear (not what to where)

Sorry

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Sherif, I agree with your analysis. But this is an open public forum which, like the open market, works on the principle of supply and demand. If people wanted to know about Marsa Allam and other less developed places they'd surely be asking about them!

As for your list of frequently asked questions, I think if more people realised that this site has search capability then they would be a little more self-sufficient. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, look above this box and to the right. All you need to do is type in one or two key words (eg. temperature December) and... presto! Up pops a list of all the topics that have covered that subject.

I don't wish to assume that Trip Advisor members are too lazy to use the search function and sift through the topics, rather I'd like to think that they just prefer the social interraction - lol!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Karen...I get all catagories too, when i open. Seems like it is different for some people.

Jan

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

Karen,

Yes of course, it reflects market forces... it basically delivers a clear message regarding: a) the interests of visitors (specially those from outside the region); and b) how well Egypt is developing / marketing its various destinations. Or rather how these are being marketed for Egypt.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Basic Arabic phrases

The categories that you see depend on which forum you're looking at.

Just above the topic title (which is istelf just above the first displayed commecnt for that topic), I can see something like this...

TripAdvisor forums > Africa forums > Egypt forums > Red Sea and Sinai forums > Sharm el Sheikh forum

If I click on 'Egypt forums', you'll see all of the forums related to Egypt (Cairo, Sharm etc).

I'll be looking at the forums from this point of view in future, so that I don't miss any useful nuggets of info.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh