We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
154 reviews
Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

I am going on a cruise around the red sea, which begins at port of Sharm El-Sheikh. Could anyone tell me how far the port is from a good beach (is it walk-able?) and how far from any bars in Sharm - again is it walk-able? If not walk-able, are taxis/public transport easily accessable? Any help would be apreciated

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Hi there

There is a public beach at Old Sharm, great for swimming, but no coral there, for snorkeling, it is walkable and there are plenty of restaurants/shops there, the Terazzina beach, is the place for music and drinks, which is just along from the public beach

Check this map

sharmelsheikhrealestate.com/img/old-town-lar…

The port is to the left out of the picture

Regards

barbarah

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Hi,

Have a look at this map of Sharm.

sharm-el-sheikh.ovh.org/mapa_lewa_engl.html

You will see the port at the very top left of the map. The next sandy bay is "Maya Bay". You can pay to use this beach. You can buy food and drink on this beach.

Yes, you could walk it but you will also be hounded by a thousand taxis!!!

Seriously taxis are everywhere in Sharm, day & night, you will never struggle to find one!

Always haggle and agree a fare before you get in a a taxi though!

There are plenty of places to eat and drink in Sharm Old town which is just across the road from the Maya beach.

Not sure about bars in the old town? You may have to take a 10 minute taxi ride to Naama Bay where there are plenty to choose from.

Check out the tips for first timers thread at the top of the forum for more info.

MM :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Lol, Barbara you beat me to it and posted while I was typing, lol!

MM x

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Yes, mine was a shorter post LOL

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

thank you to you both.

Sorry, but not clear about which beach ideal for snorkelling is closest? Please could you let me know - thank you.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Hi again

It will be El Fanar (lighthouse) beach, only 5 mins or so, by taxi, you can pay to go on this beach, inc sunbed and towel and in my opinion, it has the best snorkeling in Sharm. You will see the lighthouse marked clearly on this map, you get the taxi to the lighthouse and walk down to the beach, don't pay more than 20/25LEs in a taxi

sharmelsheikhrealestate.com/img/hadaba-large…

Regards

barbarah

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Thank you so much, you have been really helpful.

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
154 reviews
8. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

Sorry Barbarah, meant to ask - are there public areas on El-Fanar beach, or is it taken up by hotels? Can you pay to use hotel beach (and get towel, shade, lounger etc.)

9. Re: Cruise from Sharm Port - help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh