We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

huddersfeld, west...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

Hi everybody, I don't think this has been asked before:

my mates who has just got back fron sharm says drinks are firly expensive. i'm not hugl fussed but me and the fella love "good" wine.

I started thinking about taking some in with us but he is worried abut being fined/ slung in jail as it is a muslim country and might be against the law.

Does anyone know if this is something that is frowned upon?

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,007 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

Hi there

You can buy them in duty free in this country and on the plane to take into Egypt, the only problem you might hit is if you take in more than your allowance, but I really don't think that would be a problem, as there is only so much you can take in a case, unless of course you are not taking any clothes!!!! LOL

Regards

barbarah

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
chorley,lancashire
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

if alchol was such a problem in this muslim country they would not serve it in the hotels and bars, we are taking two bottles of vodka,(cos we like smirnoff) manchester airport has good deals on it, if you want a nice wine take it from duty free

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

Hi you can take 1 litre of wine or spirit into Egypt.

We always take a bottle of wine in an aluminium bottle in our main luggage. The bottle is light and will not break. hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
NORTH WALES
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

check out what they sell at the duty free in wines you might be able to stock up when u get there! we take 1ltr of Vodka (for me!) and 1 ltr of JD (for him! but we are staying for 2 weeks this time so i think we are going to visit the duty free shop as it looks really cheap!

SILAW44

hull
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

so u can only take 1 litre? I was after a bottle of vodka and some amaretto to buy in duty free and take? can we not take two then? Or am i been blonde? 1 per person i hope!

NORTH WALES
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

lol its 1 1tr per person...

7. Re: taking alcohol into egypt in luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 01, 2009