We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do i watch out for when diving?

dublin
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what do i watch out for when diving?

what are the bad fish and corals that can harm you in sharm?

are there any sharks ?

can they harm you ?

thanks

kerrie

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

You should not be touching the coral so I would not worry about that one and yes,there are sharks in sharm but the chances of seeing one let alone being bitten are not good.If you go to Tiran or Ras mo you stand a better chance of seeing some but dive "local" and you should not.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,924 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

kerrieann,

Watch out for our Ian! : 0

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

Eagerly awaiting Ian's reply (lol) Kerrie you will love diving I am sure just do not touch anything! It is highly unlikely you will see a shark on a local dive - I am praying to see one or two when I am there out at Tiran. We truly are not on their menu so please don't worry! Scuba Diva

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

Buy a fish ID card when you get there. Very cheap and they highlight dangerous fish. There are a few poisonous fish, but they will stay away from you if you stay away from them. As has been said there are sharks but you are unlikely to see any near the shore.

Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
346 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

I have to say I spent hours of everyday in snorkelling and the thing i found most dangerous was those stupid sea spy ride on viewer things.

I am sure they are great but they should be limited to areas free of snorkellers!!!

On 3 separate occasions I got hit by people merrily powering along with their heads down and not looking to see if there was anyone there. - A slight design flaw hence why they should have their own areas. A nasty accident waiting to happen IMO.

TBG 77 X

dublin
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

thankyou everyone

for helping me out !!!!!!!!

xx

sg2
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

lion fish are very pretty but can pack a sting, as can scorpion fish and morays can nip if you provoke them but if you are just looking they are OK - as for sharks love them the small ones are more scared of you than you will be of them. Oh yeah there is nemo who for a small fish is very territorial of its anemoe home and can nip

Sg

Wishaw, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what do i watch out for when diving?

nesting season for triggerfish this month. they are fiercely protective of their nest and if you get too close they will have a go at you. You will spot them no bother on the bottom blowing sand into their nest. remember their territory goes in an inverted cone from the bottom to the surface.

if you spot one. swim around it not above it. if it has a go, swim sideways and get your fins between you and it. We seen loads of them and not one of them went for us.

Happy diving

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh