We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what factor suncream?!?!?!

carshalton,surrey
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
what factor suncream?!?!?!

hi all.

Going to Egypt 5th July (can't wait I'm so excited). Does anyone know how hot it will be? and what factor sun lotion i should take, Ive gone to Greece the past three years in august and it was hot there (84F) and used a factor 8 oil for the whole two weeks and didn't burn. Anyway anyone know what factor i should be using? will an 8 oil be too low? Ive got a factor 25 and 15 cream already is that high enough? can i go any lower than 15 or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Louise x

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

Total sun block or 25+...

You are closer to the equator + reflection on sand and water...

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

If I may add...

Take a hydrating lotion with you as well and use it in the evening, even if you don't burn, the sun in Egypte burns very hard and you don't feel it most of the time because of the wind (coming from both desert and sea).

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

Hi

I am a redhead and I started off with a factor 25 but in the end i managed to get down to a factor 15 and that was nearer the end of July.

It really depends on your skin type I always take a variety of creams as you just never know.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

Skin cancer in my family , so i take no risks , i always use a factor 40 and 50plus on the kids , i have always still got a good tan.

Sheffield South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

Hi xxxLouisexxx

I went to sharm in september last year 2006 14th to 28th the first week the temp was in the 50s i did not go any lower than a factor 15 and that was in second week when temp dropped to about 40.

If you want to spend about £22 then we found that factorP 20 sun cream is brilliant you only need to apply it once a day about 90mins before going into the sun

Where are u staying in sharm which hotel?

If i can help u any further pls let me know

Flozbit

carshalton,surrey
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

hiya flozbit

thanks for ur reply. we staying at the three corners kiroseiz hotel. ive already got some lotions already factors 25 and 15. i wanted to go down to an 8 oil but im not to sure now. the 15 should be fine.

what currency did u bring? how should we tip? ive read conflicting posts on here. some say dont tip in english pounds others say do. im so confused and excited. so any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Louisex

carshalton,surrey
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

oh and thanks for everyone elses replies. much appreciated.

Louise

Sheffield South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

Hi Louise

We stopped at coral sea resort and we read conflicting views also about tipping. we tipped when we felt it was necessary we also tipped in English £ we took Egyptian Pounds and some English money also. We had a fantastic holiday and we are going again this year we are doing a nile cruise for 7 nights then 6 nights in hurgada and then one night in luxor before flying home i am getting excited and we have not even decided whether we are going last week in agust and first week in september or in october.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday and go there with an open mind.

london
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

hi lousie

egypt will be very hot in july but it does depend on ur skin type if ur quite pale u will burn easily and will need a high factor. but like me if u have olive skin u shud be fine i use factor 15 the first 2 days then use about an 8 oil the rest of the time and im fine. but i do use 15 the whole time on my face u dnt wna look old and wrinkly in years to come and it kills wen u burn ur face.

shareen

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what factor suncream?!?!?!

@ Flozbitt: you only apply your suncream one a day? :-s

A high risk for the future health of your skin i'm afraid.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh