We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving advice needed?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diving advice needed?

I am travelling to SRM on the 29th July for 2 weeks. I have dived before and completed my Padi Open Water course followed by several recreational dives whilst on holiday in the Dom. Rep. 2 years ago.

I have not dived since and although I am re-reading the Open Water Manual to refresh myself am not sure what to do with regards to booking dives on holiday this year.

I am not likely to dive regularly except maybe once a year on holiday so am undecided if the money, time and learning for the advanced course is really worth it.

Would I be better just booking recreational dives and staying as an open water diver? I am aware of how popular the red sea is for diving and really dont want to waste my dive time with total novices and similarly have heard the reefs and dive sites can get crowded at the ones aimed for novice divers.

I am also unsure how much recreational dives will cost or how much the advanced will cost if it turns out to be the better option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving advice needed?

Hubby uses i-dive at Fort Arabesque next door to SRMR - they are very good and have excellent equipment etc. This is a link to their website:

www.idivedivingcenter.com/welcome%20eng.htm

Most dives in Makadi Bay are within the 18m range - so open water is fine. However, the Advanced course gives more options for future diving and allows you to dive to 30m. i-dive cost for Advanced is 240euro plus 60 for manual/certification. If you book in advance it may be cheaper. As a comparison, a 6 dive package (under your open water) is 164 euro but your first one will have to be a 'check dive'.

Makadi Bay is not like Sharm. The dive sites are not crowded at all and hubby has been when the i-dive boat has been the only one there, so if it is just pure holiday diving you want at Makadi Bay open water will be fine.

Hope this helps,

Ali (& Henry)

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving advice needed?

It seems to me you are a novice diver yourself since you have not been diving in the past 2 years you will certainly be required to do a refresher course.

After that you can do house reef dives in the bay or you can go out on day trips with the large dive boat to the off-shore dive sites. If you have less than 22 - 25 logged dives ( depends in the dive centre) you will be assigned a dive guide (5 € extra per dive) and not be teamed up with more experienced divers.

I was diving at Makadi Bay last month for the 2nd time. While I stayed at one of the Madinat Makadi hotels I was diving with Extra Divers which I personally cannot recommend at this stage. Here is a report I made on a Scubadviser.

www.scubadviser.com/destinations_1.aspx…

P.S. photos 7 & 8 were taken at the Fort.

Edited: 4:11 pm, June 02, 2011
3. Re: Diving advice needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 04, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay