We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

I am taking my family to this resort for Christmas this year, me and three women, daughters are 21 and 17 and both fair.

As we have never been to this part of the world at all I was wondering the following

1) how long is the transfer likely to be from Hurghada airport

2) can the girls go topless on the hotel beach etc? this is from the eldest!

3) what will the temperature be like, hot, warm or in between!

4) whats the best combination of money to take? and what sort do they like?

I have yet to see a bad review of this hotel so we are all looking forward to 2 weeks of quiet and relaxation!

Thanks

Andy

newcastle staffs
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

Hi BaldBloke we went to this hotel for a week at the end of August

1) Transfer by coach approx 10 mins

2)I did see topless bathing but ladies tended to put tops back on when walking around

3) Dont know about temp in Dec but always a strong breeze which was welcome in August

4)We took English only , some shops didnt like coins but need them for small tips

We really enjoyed the holiday, dress code not as strict as it says eg no beach wear in the restraunts ,it was ok for ladies to just cover up with a sarong! Out of 4 of us 3 had an upset tummy dont know what caused it but a visit to the local chemist sorted it in 24 hours. We booked quad bike trip from shop in town much cheaper than rep. Diving from the resort was excellent we went on several single boat trips.Hotel is quite large but once you get used to the lay out you will be ok. I think most rooms have a sea view ours was lovely 244/245 really close to everything if you not happy with yours ask to be moved they will try their best, rooms a little dated but kept spotlessly clean all with a nice balcony.If you are pestered by people trying to sell you tattoos, hair braiding,massage just say no and they will leave you alone.Have a great holiday i would love to go back .

Luton, England.
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

am so jealous of you being there for Christmas! hope you have a lovely time.

take only a few Egyptian pounds, change the rest at the hotel where there is a good exchange rate. Make sure you have some US dollars for the duty free at the airport - they only take US dollars cash.

I would go topless here, and I'm a big girl... so anyone can!

It should be lovely and warm - imagine what it's like in the UK in comparison!

the airport transfer takes only 20 minutes or less... say hello to Jayne, she has many mentions on reviews on the internet!

Laura & Anton, Luton.

sheffield
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

Hi Andy,

transfer about 20 mins

yes to topless question, but they do ask if you would go to the island, but not many do.

Not sure of the temp, but it is very windy there, all day, it's not really possible to sit on balcony.

Take more English, they like it. You get a better exchange rate in the hotel. Sorry about the weather but we went in June.

Bev

New York
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

No one will vocally object to foreign visitors going topless at most hotels (there are plenty of tourists who do), but why not earn the respect of the Egyptians around you rather than their silent, but disapproving and intense scorn. It's all about sensitivity to local culture and whether you care or not. If you have any sensitivity to local culture, you should not go topless.

If your view is simply that "lots of people do it it in Sharm" and "I paid for my vacation and will do what I want" or "it's OK in Europe so it is OK here", no one will stop you from going topless. You should note that every post on this forum from a visitor who knows something about Egypt and the Middle East or, better yet, actually lives there suggests you cover up - that should tell you something. Those who make occassionally venture to Sharm (or Hurghada or the like) are the ones saying "topless is fine".

Sadly, it seems like most posters on this site just don't care. As an aside, if you get to know any of the staff at the hotels, you will learn that they are there alone and almost never bring their families to live with them in Sharm. There are two main reasons -- cost (Sharm is very expensive relative to the rest of Egypt) and culture (most workers don't want their families exposed to what they perceive to be the bad behavior of tourists -- including going topless anywhere or skimpy dress in public). Yes, the Egyptians have made a compromise with their traditional culture when they developed Sharm and the workers knew what to expect when they signed up for it. But, again, why not earn a bit of respect with appropriate attire and, maybe, even a few words of Arabic.

Midlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

Dear Andy

We went there for a week in June. Very hot then but I believe it cools quite considerably in December so a sweater would be needed at night.There is a constant strong wind there so I imagine it will be quite bearable during the day, but the wind is very strong believe me with no let up.

Dont bother to much with the Egyptian dosh they dont like it, they are more than happy to take English, a few Egyptian pounds however is handy for tips.

Beware the upset tums, it is rife there and not many get away without a touch of it or more. Go to the local pharmacy and they can help but be prepared for a few days of it, though you might be lucky!

We found the Sunrise to be a clean hotel, but the beach is crap, wear beach shoes or it will be gritty underfoot, the lagoon shelves deeply too and is very sharp so take care.

Topless seemed ok .

Watch the lads that work there though they are all over the young girls. Very O.T.T.

Entertainment a bit poor but may be better at Christmas.

Dont bother going into the town it is filthy and rundown, best stay in the hotel or go on organized trips, have to say we felt a bit confined to the hotel and wouldnt go there again, but everyones different.

Hope you enjoy your stay and have a good Christmas.

6. Re: Sunrise Holiday Resort Hurghada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hurghada