We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting in and out of Hurghada

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting in and out of Hurghada

Hi,

I am planning to visit Egypt in June 2013 with my wife. After a week of travel in Egypt ending with a Aswan to Luxor Nile cruise we want to visit Hurghada for 2 days.

I have been reading wikitravel.org to plan my travel. While I have got much info there, traveling in and out of Hurghada is not very clear.

We disembark the Nile cruise at Luxor on June 22nd, Saturday and will be free from afternoon after lunch. I thought of taking a bus to Hurghada to reach there by late evening. After a two day stay we plan to return to either Luxor or Cairo and catch a flight back home. So we would be leaving Hurghada on June 24th, Monday evening (after scuba diving and/or snorkeling). If we decide to go to Luxor, we will stay there overnight and catch a flight the next day at 10:20am. If we decide to go to Cairo, I believe we will be traveling overnight, reach Cairo in the morning and catch the flight at around 2pm.

We plan to stay at this hotel : Triton Empire Hotel (tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g297549-d631182-…)

Questions :

1) Is my plan feasible or am I walking a tight rope in terms of timing?

Getting in to Hurghada

2) What would be the right time for us to catch a bus in Luxor so that we reach Hurghada while we can still reach our hotel easily? (The hotel doesn't offer pick-up service)

3) What would be closet bus stop for this hotel that we need to get off at?

4) How much would the bus service from Luxor to Hurghada cost?

Getting out of Hurghada

4) When is the last bus out of Hurghada to Luxor and what time does it reach Luxor (approx)?

5) Are there overnight bus services to Cairo from Hurghada? Say starting from Hurghada at 10:30pm and reaching Cairo at around 6am or 7am the next day.

5.1) If such a bus service is available, can I book tickets in advance? If yes how?

Note : I am considering travel by bus particularly and not by air because of high cost.

Answers to these questions will greatly help me in finalizing my trip plan. Let me also know if the plan can be tweaked anywhere.

This is my first on TripAdvisor, so apologies if I flouted any of the forum rules or guidelines.

Regards

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

Firstly this is problematic as the bus services are not like the services you will find in Europe for starters you are not permitted to use the overnight services to and from Luxor as the military will not permit this the day services operate between Luxor and central Hurghada the district better known as El Dahar, there is no earlier stop in Hurghada so you would have to go to this stop and arrange transportation to you hotel from there the day buses would be your only option as fro Cairo you are currently permitted to use the day and night services to Cairo that run at regular intervals during the day travel time depends on time of day but expect to take between 6 to 8 hours depending on service, this coach service does not go anywhere near the airport in Cairo so you will need to arrange a transfer to the airport finally travel by public bus in Egypt can be complicated at the best of times I have never had any problems traveling between Cairo and Hurghada but travel on public buses between Luxor and Hurghada can be a real pain I hope you succeed and if you need any further information feel free to contact me all the best

Paddy

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

Hey Paddy,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Glad to know that night bus services are available from Hurghada to Cairo. I think I will go to Cairo instead of Luxor.

I have read about the military restrictions for traveling between Luxor and Hurghada. That is why I wanted to know if it is a feasible option. Thanks for the clarification. However while coming to Hurghada I have no choice but to come from Luxor. I will make sure I will take a bus as early as possible in the day and then take a cab to the hotel in Hurghada.

A couple of follow up questions :

1) We have to catch a flight back home from Cairo at 13:55. After having traveled overnight from Hurghado is there a place in Cairo where we can freshen up before catching our flight? Or do I have to book a hotel room at the whole day's price just for those couple of hours?

2) Would you happen to know till what time late in the night would I get a bus from Hurghada to Cairo?

3) Approximately what is the bus charge for Hurghada to Cairo?

Regards.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

Hi

If you check out this link, Paddy posted detailed info and costing on the bus from Hurghada to Cairo a few days ago

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297549-i9198-k5…

Karen

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

Cheers Karen the info is still up to date as I use the night bus on a regular basis.

Nomad there are not really any places where you could freshen up you would be advised to book a day room or make your way to the airport that does have some facilities for freshening up but these are very limited all the best and enjoy your journey to Cairo the best bust to use is the Royal Plus service as this is the highest standard of comfort and you will be given a pack of food to eat and tea and coffee is available if you look at my link

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297549-i9198-k5…

you will be able to look at the bus times available to Cairo all the best and Happy Holidays

Paddy

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

Thank you very very much Paddy and Karen. This info is priceless.

Regards

6. Re: Getting in and out of Hurghada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 20, 2014