We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurghada beaches and facilities

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Hurghada beaches and facilities

Trying to decide where to stay. Reading between the lines it appears that the quality of beaches differs in certain areas. Unfortunately Hurghada covers about 60km of coast now. Most of the Hotel reviews provided by TA members have limited info. It appears that most people have just flown in to Hurghada, transfered to Hotel, eat, slept and drank at the Hotel and then gone home. All you hear about is the Hotel, food, what the free drinks are like, how loud the evening entertainment was and the boorish attitude of some of the russian tourists.

It is difficult to glean any info about the beach areas in front of the hotels (as well as local snorkelling/diving) as it would appear most people get no further than their sun lounger by the pool.

Does anybody have a single source where I can find info on the various areas. We are also interested in diving as well as snorkelling, boat trips to local islands for diving/snorkelling (with very little messing around getting from hotel to boat departure point) and don't want to be stuck in an area with limited companies/facilities.

We looked for instance at Palm Royale Soma bay ( no idea what is there - middle of nowhere), Mercure Hurghada and Steigenberger Al dau.

There was a review on the Steigenberger that made a passing remark to the quality of beaches in the area.

We thought about Makadi bay but also a general comment from german Tui that the beach at Makadi was not fine sand.

We're not looking for some caribbean or vietnamese ideal beach (we go to Bali a lot and the beaches are darker) but would prefer an area where we don't have to wear beach shoes on the beach or to go swimming.

We are open to any suggestions of general location (e.g. in/around a certain Hotel as a reference)

We are 2 adults with 2 adult kids (19 & 21). Eldest is studying Marine Biology and is a qualified diver so hence the general ease of diving being important.

Cheers

Gloucestershire UK
Level Contributor
352 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Makadi Bay has some good beaches and diving, the bay cosists of about a dozen hotels but with little else to do other than beach and sea based activities, from experience the best beaches with fine sand are Fort Arabesque, Sunrise, and my favourite the Tia Heights hotel, most Brits apperar to prefer the Sunrise. Certainly the beach at the Tia does not require beach shoes, the Sunrise is next door. Check the reviews on the Makadi Bay hotels.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Thanks. Have already been trawling through all Hotel reviews for "Hurghada" including Makadi and Soma.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Sharm El Naga some 40 km south of Hurghada has been recommended to us as one of the best places on the coast for snorkelling and diving. Sahl Hasheesh also has a great beach/clean sea and is within easy reach of Hurghada and the interesting Hurghada Aquarium and Museum, just north of the city. Just a couple of options; hope it helps.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

We have visited the Premier Le Reve at Sahl Hasheesh. You could not access the water or walk on the beach without appropriate footwear. The edge of the ocean was all dead coral or rocks.

We have also stayed at the Palm Royale Soma Bay. The beach was nice sand but I do not think there were any snokeling opportunities directly from the hotel. You are right to say that this hotel is very isolated.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
39 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Try the Arabella Azur. We just got back from there. their beaches are all man-made. They build walls and use sand as top layer, you need to go down 2-3 steps on ladders to get into the water.

the good thing is that the hotel has its own diving center and probably the best reef in hurghada, excellent for snorkeling.

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Hello sir

I'm from hurghada my self but currently live in uk Nottingham hurghada it's pretty good location because if u fancy to see pyramids or go to luxor which is better to visit its close by ... Beach it's very nice and most of hotels quite good u won't find any problem for transport to the city 24/7 if u fancy diving I'm dive master my self and can tell which is best locations to gland dive because some of them take u to nearest where is almost busy and a lot of people so u won't find it interested with that amount of people if u like private trip I can help on that either and promise with lowest prices u can get and u can go and find out too I have friends which they own the boats so they won't make a lot of money on as big combines do and u dont have to pay anything only when u jump on boat and u r fully satsfiy with everything if u interested let me know either here or phone me in 07951597947 sam is my name ... About Russian tourist actually won't find it as problem they do like to eat much I know that because I get use to work for tourist line back home 5 years ... Good luck and if any more help letting me know ..

Thank you .

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Hiya

By the way sahl hashish and makadi bay is best resort I there but they are bit far from city and will cost u at least £15 or £10 to get you hotel .

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Thanks all for the suggestions. There just seems so many choices these days. The fact "Hurghada" covers ~ 60km of coast Holiday companies are often "economical" with the truth when describing Hotels, facilities and location.

It also appears there are conflicting statements from different sources on the state and quality of beaches and that in one small area one may find a beach area requiring beach shoes but have good snorkelling/diving direct in front of the hotel and a short distance away a nice sandy area that may have no decent snorkelling or diving.

UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

Just stayed at the Iberotel Aquamarine in Hurghada. The beach is pretty poor: desert grit basically. You can't swim straight off the beach, it is too shallow. It is a very long wade to get to a channel deep enough for swimming or snorkelling. There is a man made lagoon next to it, but having swum in it, not convinced that the water was that clean. For snorkelling, somewhere like Taba Heights is substantially better. Personally wouldn't go to Hurghada if you want a beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurghada beaches and facilities

The Grand Resort in Hurghada has a good swimming beach. It's actually across a road (which is misleading as its a pedestrianised type thing) through the Grand hotel and right there. It's able to be walked straight into and swum in. I'd highly recommend this hotel ! It sounds strange but it actually works ! Good luck :)