We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Hi all,

I'm sure many of these questions have been covered in here but my eyes went a bit sore after the 11th page or so!

Does anybody know where the Coral Sea Resort is based in relation to places like the Hard Rock Cafe? Also I have heard there is a Hed Kandi Bar and a Ministry of Sound too - are these beach bars in the same area as the Hard Rock cafe?

Also what other nightlife is recommended? We're all inclusive but will probably want to eat out once or twice - any nice restaurants?

I'm assuming end of February will be in the 70's temperature wise, but will it be chilly at night to bring cardigans/long sleeved tops?

At present we have a standard room booked at the Coral Sea - is it recommended to upgrade - are the rooms far superior or (with First Choice) is it just the added extras of DVD player/bathrobes etc. - is it much better to pay/request for a full sea view?

Is it possible to sunbathe on the Coral Sea Resort beach, I've heard it is man made and you need shoes to walk on it? If not how far is it to the nearest sand beach?

Already clued up on visas, we'll get at the airport not fussing around with the Embassy in London!

Some have recommended taking Sterling and changing into Egyptian pounds (is that the L.E. people talk about???) but should we not take a small amount of Egyptian currency for tipping as we get there at night and the banks might not be open - or are the exchange rates at hotel receptions good?

Thanks so much in advance, really looking forward to going and will post a review on the Coral Sea upon return!

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

hello, the hard rock cafe is in the new hurghada area near the grand hotel and the grand resort!! 10 minutes down the road in taxi, is sekalla where you will find the ministry of sound on the main street, hed kandi is fab and also in sekalla, but beware, some taxi drivers dont know where it is, as we found out when he dropped us off and said "up there" and ended up in a secluded street with hard core locals eyeing us up, as my friends tell everyone that i managed to take them to the ghetto!!! it wasnt that bad believe me,, so make sure the taxi driver drops you off right outside!! There is a new place called little buddah, its like a restaurant / club in one, havnt been yet but will go in june!!!

also if your craving pork (we did) papas 2 in downtown hurghada sells it,,, yum yum!! then go upstairs to matrix for a local night out,, really fun!!

we went in november and it was really chilly, i was even wearing my beanie hat and borrowed an egyptian mans scarf, so take medium warm and really warm clothes,, just incase..

the days are beautiful just keep out of the wind!!! you still need SPF8 or over to start with!!!

take english money with you to change over there,, either at the hotel of with your rep, much better rates there, and dont worry about tipping, they are happy with £1 coins!!

um if you want anymore info just ask!!

oh just a couple of tips,

make sure you have the right money for taxis,, or they might "not have change" and haggle with them before you get in!!!

take some toilet roll out with you in your bag/pocket!! some places either charge you for loo roll or just dont have it,, especially at the airport!!!

check your change,, the egyptian pounds (le) look just loke the piestas!!

get mozzie spray from the local pharmacy, it works much better,, and is needed at night if you leave the hotel complex!! you dont want itchy feet!!

and last thing, dont shake shop salesmens hands unless you want to go in their shop,, they will try to get you to go in their shop by not letting go,, just be firm, it feels like your being rude, but they do get the message!!

other than all that just have a fab time!!! when we go in june it will have been my 5th time!! just such a brill place!!!

sally

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Thank you so much for your reply Sally that's really helpful.

Only problem I have now is one of us is only 20 and as the legal drinking age in Egypt is 21 I asked first choice if they will be able to have a wristband for the all inclusive at the Coral Sea and they're saying NO - in which case I might have to change our booking - which i really don't want to - drinking of course isn't the be all and end all of a holiday but in that case I wouldn't have bothered with all inclusive and frankly stayed at a nicer hotel B&B!!

What do you all advise? If First Choice are saying no what should we do? I know many many people have said the Egyptians are kind of slack with their over 21 rule and no one over about 16 ever has problems getting served but am concerned about in the hotel?

Thanks again all help is so appreciated! x

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

blimey, the locals i spoke to said the legal limit was 18!!! you will have no trouble in any of the bars to get served!!! and in the hotel i stayed in let the other english lads there that were 16 on the all inclusive adult bands, drink!!! the hotel i stayed in was shedwan garden, not a 5* hotel but the beach was beautiful, and the staff are friendly,, i wont go to any other hotel!!! we booked with airtours, i think their policy is you pay for an adult at 16 so you get an adult wrist band,, on any hotel with them!!! double check that though is you do book with them!!!!

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

i also have some piccys on here if you click on my name!!!!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Thanks for your help pinkypoppy!

I might contact the hotel directly and see what they say - pictures look lovely and to be fair just want some sun! I guess I could change booking to a Full/Half Board or B&B and we can eat and drink out - at least we'll explore the area more that way!

I already booked it so hopefully, if I need to, we can make amendments to the booking

Cheers! :o)

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Hi pinkpoppy

I've just started researching Hurghada for a possible christmas holiday this year. Thanks for the info you've posted, very useful. It would be interesting if you posted a review of the hotel you like, I see there are only 2 reviews at the moment and it's hard to gaige what a place is like with only 2 opinions

All the best

Suzie

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Hi if you have paid an adult price for the 20 yr old then he should be treated as an adult and have an adult all inclusive band. My son had no probs getting served in Egypt last yr when he just turned 18 and my daughter has the odd ID Edge and they dont bat an eye lid.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

Thanks nana that's great much appreciated! :o)

9. Re: Hurghada - Feb 08 - various questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hurghada