We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMC Royal and outgoings

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
AMC Royal and outgoings

Hi all, just booked our first family holiday in Egypt at the end of January, we will be staying at the AMC Royal.

Although we are all inclusive we would like to eat out a few times, couple of drinks/shisha etc to break the holiday up rather then just stay in the hotel all the time.

Are there bars / eateries within a short Taxi ride? any recommendations/advice/suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMC Royal and outgoings

Unfortunately you are going to find there is not a lot outside of your hotel without travelling in a taxi. Memory serves me right you have a pharmacy not far away, bottom of the service road at hotel towards the beach is a cafe. Along main road towards Hurghada you have 2 shops selling t shirts etc and a supermarket and bakery.

Failing that it's about 30 minute taxi ride to civilization into downtown Hurghada.

If you wanted restaurants, bars and a bit more life I would have looked closer to Hurghada itself.

AMC is not frequented by Many British these days.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMC Royal and outgoings

Many thanks for your reply

It will only be a couple of occasions we will b going out of the hotel so 30 min taxi ride seems doable

Thanks

Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMC Royal and outgoings

Hi Macdoo!

I have just returned from AMC. I was delighted with the hotel and had a great time with the friendliest staff that I have met anywhere. When you exit the hotel, turn left and there are several shisha shops and cafes that the locals frequent. A twenty minute walk in that direction will take you to the Miami Pub - the food is good, but everything is cooked to order so don't expect it to be plated up and delivered in ten minutes or so as, in my experience, you did wait a while for the food to come out.

The local GoBus service stops right outside the hotel if you flag it down: 30 minutes to El Gouna, twenty to Hurghada for 5le one way. The staff will point the buses out to you and there are three an hour in each direction - to El Gouna it is on the hour, twenty and forty minutes past the hour. To Hurghada it is around fifteen minutes past the hour and twenty minute intervals thereafter. I managed to get a taxi from the GoBus station in Hurghada to AMC for 30le - the taxis are very quiet at the moment and the drivers are desperate for the cash so you can haggle hard. I was not impressed by the Hotel Taxi and I used ABC Taxis on several occasions - they were very reliable and fair in my experience.

El Gouna is very quiet during the day, but it does come to life later in the day, so I would leave a little later to have the best time. Hurghada Marina really only comes alive at night. There are plenty of options for bars and restaurants in both locations. AMC is currently receiving regular high volume tour groups from China and the Ukraine. The groups generally stay for two or three nights and are then moved on and replaced by new groups. It is a good hotel and I had a very relaxing stay. The food is fine and you will find something to eat on any given day. Do use the Palm Beach at night when it lays on "Egyptian Oriental" and the occasional BBQ in the Beach Bar. It was, in my opinion, the best option for food. There were a few Brit tourists who arrived while I was there, but the British tourist is very much in a minority. I liked it that way and I had no problem with the other guests, although the Chinese tourists could be very loud at times. Just a cultural thing, I suppose, but everyone that I met was friendly.

Just a word of warning: the mosqitoes are a nightmare and I have just been diagnosed with dengue fever - not pleasant! Get the best repellant you can (50% deet - and be liberal with it while there!) before you go.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMC Royal and outgoings

Many thanks for your detailed information it is greatly appreciated

The buses are a no go as I don’t think we are confident enough for this just yet , we will use ABC taxi service

Once again thanks

Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMC Royal and outgoings

No problem - anything else, just ask!

Just a word about the buses: I found the drivers and passengers to be very friendly and helpful whenever I used the bus and they all know the hotel. When you say "AMC" they know where you are going - it is considered to be the best hotel on that part of the strip.

Get the ABC number from the internet and use WhatsApp to message them - better to do that than to call as the Wi-Fi signal is poor for calls unless you pay for the upgraded Wi-Fi ($24 per week, $4 per day). I had no problem with them whenever I used the and they are metered, so no need to haggle!

The bar staff in the lobby bar are excellent and Mohammed in Shots Bar is very attentive - tell them all Peter from Scotland said hello for me!

Reply to: AMC Royal and outgoings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted