We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the grand makadi, makadi bay

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kent
2 posts
Save Topic
the grand makadi, makadi bay

we have booked to go to the grand makadi, makadi bay in may and are trying to find out what facillities are avaliable in the rooms we have booked a junior and deluxe suite but cannot find out if there are tea and coffe making facilities in the rooms, we would be grateful for any information on the rooms and the rest of the resort

Cambs
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

Try redseahotels.com which has info on all their hotels.

scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

I have just returned from a week at the grand makadi. there are no tea making machines in the rooms - we had a junior suite. the hotel is huge and impersonal and mainly patronised by germans and russians and their children. most of the staff assume you are german and speak german to you. eating is mostly al fresco and when we were there it was so windy at night and during the day that a jumper and/or jacket was the order of the day. (forget strappy, elegant dresses for evening wear - you'll freeze and the germans tend not to dress for dinner) eating in the main restaurant is buffet style, mostly the same each night. there are three other small restaurants which are o.k. for a change. the makadi is in the middle of nowhere although you can walk into makadi bay which is just a man mad resort with a few shops all selling the same things. there is a free shuttle bus to hurghada which is like makad bay but on a bigger scale. towels and sun loungers are free on the beach and the pool but you will need to be up early to book your lounger especially on the beach! Be wary of the massages offered- they are nothing great, not worth the money and i doubt done by professional people. Did I enjoy m y holiday there, I am afraid the answer is not but then each to their own. There is entertainment each night at the hotel. If you l ike wind surfing and snorkelling you'll love it here. I don't know if you have been told but there is a fair bit of building work going on at the far end of the hotel. We were not made aware of this by our tour company. Enjoy your holiday, it just wasn't for me!

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

thanks for posting. We are staying next door at the Makadi Palace, did you happen to see it? we've been told that the buliding work will not effect us and that our hotel is fully open(not very likely)!

scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

Hi carol as far as i am aware the makadi palace is still in the process of being built. when we were there the swimming pool had just been filled in, the buildings are almost complete, some people were staying there but using the facilities at the grand makadi which adjoins it. there was a security guard on duty at the grand so that you could not go down the steps leading into the palace as it was not complete. sorry to be pessimistic but better to be warned.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

Thanks Corrie Its just about what we thought! I'm very annoyed at the agents and airtours though as we've given them LOTS of opportunities to tell the truth, we even offered to change hotel/resort. I guess we'll have to hope they've got fast builders as we go in 5 weeks and have lost the will to ask the operators again. My husband has sent a final e-mail asking for written assurance that all is well. Next booking I'll do what I usually do and check here first instead of booking on impulse.

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

Not wanting to sound rude, but this sounds like just about every other hotel in the Red Sea Peninsula. They tend to be very big resort hotels, because the local towns haven't yet prepared for tourists. We stayed in Sharm last year and it was just like this. But if you're used to smaller, more intimate hotels this must be like living hell!!!

Just a couple of questions... Are you disturbed by the building work? Again there was some at our hotel last year, but the resorts are so big you wouldn't know. Was the snorkelling from the beach any good? And finally, can you tell us what the AI package includes - towels in rooms and beach, fridge in room etc etc?

Thanks for the review, and sorry to bombard you with questions!!!

work
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

My partner and myself are also booked for 1 week all inclusive at the grand makadi palace hotel for a junior suite. Any information on room, hotel and area would be useful. We are going middle of May.

work
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

My partner and myself are also booked for 1 week all inclusive at the grand makadi palace hotel for a junior suite. Any information on room, hotel and area would be useful. We are going middle of May.

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

Sorry, forgot one final question!! What currency do the hotel tend to use? Thanks!!

scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: the grand makadi, makadi bay

we had a junior suite which was o.k. but i think the majority of the rooms may be this, fridge in room but don't expect things to be cold like our fridged, towels free at pool and beach. get in early to get the best spots before the germans. hotel tends to assume evert whitie is german and most things are quoted in euros but will gyve english pounds if asked.

Get answers to your questions about Hurghada