We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurghada Airport

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Hurghada Airport

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I have to say that Hurghada airport departures is a complete shambles and I have never been to an airport where people are treated with such contempt by the staff working there.

Arrivals - When you enter the airport a Thompsons rep was herding everyone that he could to a queue where people are charged £25 per person to enter the Country. However, if you go the Bank on the right hand side, the charge is only £17 per person. The Thompson rep was really getting ANNOYED that people were going over to the bank and not going in his queue!!

Departures I understand the safety aspect but after going through 3 security checks - it took over 1 hour to go through the final security check before boarding the plane.

In this instance our flight to Gatwick was delayed but the Manchester flight was on time.

If they are going to pull over 100 people for a bag check and try and get everyone on the plane in a timely manner - they need more than 2 people checking the bags.

What made it worse was that there 4 men in suits running round shouting that the Manchester flight was waiting to take off but the 2 people doing the checks couldn't go any faster if they had to complete the checks properly.

Then the men in suits would say is there anyone waiting to board the Manchester flight. Lots of people put their hands up but nothing was done about moving them to the front of the queue.

Everyone in the queue was getting agitated especially the people waiting to get on the Manchester flight and I think these men in the suits made the situation worse keep shouting and running round. Not sure what they were hoping to achieve apart from causing panic.

I heard someone ask a Thomspon Rep about the situation and he said gloatingly "It's your government that have requested these checks"

That may be so but that wasn't the issue - it was the complete lack of organisation prior to boarding the plane, which is down to the Management at the airport and not the British Government.

I loved the hotel that we stayed in (3rd time there) but this has really put my husband and I off going to Hurghada again. After having a relaxing week away, all the piss and panic at the airport didnt leave a very good lasting impression for us.

105 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,572 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Hurghada Airport

It can be annoying.... experienced similar last month, it should hopefully get better.

yorkshire England
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Hurghada Airport

I was personally pulled over for extra searches and it was a farce. There had been three previous checks including scanning of the bags and yet on the fourth check the guy in front of me had a 200 ml bottle of sun cream taken from him. My view is this. Have two checks.... One of them a comprehensive bag scan and the other a random bag search by adequate amount of staff. Do these checks PROPERLY and the other checks become redundant. I was on the Manchester flight on May 23rd and we were 40 mins late taking off.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Hurghada Airport

And at the end of the day the flight is not going to go without you if you are through so ignore the men in suits and just do what you can to go through.

Maybe they will start to get more of a procedure in place now that more flights are coming in. We can hope anyway...!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Hurghada Airport

Yes., it was a farce when I flew out of Hurghada Airport and, from all I hear and read, it's worse now.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Hurghada Airport

you cant say the flight wont go without someone. I travel frequently and planes do leave without people. Maybe the reps should bring people to the airpots slightly earlier and this may help with the rush to get through

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
114 reviews
6. Re: Hurghada Airport

They won't go without you if you are in the departure area stuck in security like lolly mentions. They would have to find your bags and take them off which is going to cost them more time than it will take you to get to them.

If you are stuck the other side then yes absolutely the flight can go without you and i'm guessing that a lot of people are missing their flights because they have allowed less than 2 hours and are not on a package.

Edited: 12:14 pm, May 31, 2017
Essex
Level Contributor
838 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Hurghada Airport

Yes its a pain - but those who have a right old moan will be the first to complain if there was a gun or bomb on board the aircraft they were flying on!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Hurghada Airport

If there was a bomb on the plane, I very much doubt I would be in a position to complain. :-)

The complaint or at least my complaint isn't about security procedures at Hurghada Airport (and now it seems at some other Egyptian airports) but rather the excessively redundant, occasionally off-hand, sometimes idiosyncratic and often haphazard manner in which they are usually applied.

Within a couple of months of last flying out of Hurghada airport, I had occasion to fly in and out of Heathrow and Dulles airports, undoubtedly two of the world's A-list targets on virtually every terrorist's hit list. The security procedures may have been a "pain" at both but, compared to the Hurghada circus, they were done efficiently, politely and relatively quickly.

Nor did I have to go through the same checks two or three times. If something is done right and the relevant authorities are satisfied that it's being done right, there's no need to do it all over again. The problem is that the Egyptian authorities do not yet have anything like full confidence in their airport security staff and/or the procedures in place and are thereby forced to redundant ones to partly compensate.

However irritating, none of this would stop me returning to Egypt and, as already said, things will hopefully improve in the months and years to come.

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Hurghada Airport

Grayson D - As I said in my comments - I understand the safety aspect, but that's not my issue - it was the complete lack of organisation prior to boarding the plane, which is down to the Management at the airport

england
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
128 reviews
10. Re: Hurghada Airport

During our recent return our tour operator had us at the airport three hours before departure however they did not full explain the process to their customers. Had we been aware that we would have been searched three times and that women and men were physically searched by same sex staff we could have avoided queuing in the wrong placed additionally we were called to the boarding gate two hours before take off, just as we were about to get some supper, on checking if the flight was early we were told yes, so off we trotted (this was just after the BA problem so we thought maybe the flights had been swapped out in some way) however this was not the case, we were just called through early so that further physical checks could be performed and then we were left for 1 and a half hours at the boarding gate with no refreshments or even the possibility of a bottle of water.... not good... and if we had had more information before arriving at the airport we could have made better provision.

Reply to: Hurghada Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted