We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ghost town or lively

manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ghost town or lively

I have never been to Egypt, I go to Greece every year.However I was told to try el gouna.so I thought why not,i would be going first two weeks in june 2014.I have been reading all the post on T/A and a few have said el gouna is like a ghost town and boring my wife and I are both in our 60s

so we are not ravers but we do like music and atmosphere when out in the evening.i wouldn't like to think there would be just a few people walking about or having a drink in the evening.Would Sharm be better

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
863 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ghost town or lively

Hi

All I can say is for me El Gouna is anything but boring, but it is unlike anywhere else I have ever been, for me that's a good thing . It doesn't suit everyone but where in the World does ?

David

Edited: 9:00 pm, July 03, 2013
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ghost town or lively

I was there in march i found it really quiet not much to do at night enjoyed it though

Bury St. Edmunds...
Level Contributor
172 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ghost town or lively

It depends what you are looking for- You can take a tuk tuk to downtown where on there have a egyptian show which is free in the square- there are many drinking & eating places to choose from

At the abu tig marina peanuts bar gets quite lively+ moods bar- TCOV have a marina street party.again plenty of places to eat & drink

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ghost town or lively

It really depends what suits you. Yes, El Gouna is a quiet, up market resort where drunken behaviour is rare, the streets are hassle free - wander around the restaurants and shops without intimidation - every nationality is represented, the standards of service and security are excellent, and the general well being of guests is paramount.

Bored? Been there 10 times and never been bored. How nice to walk the well lit streets at night to either Downtown or Abu Tig Marina, or jump on an open air bus or tuk tuk, enjoy a meal in one of the many wonderful restaurants, or seek out a bar for a chat with fellow holiday makers. Though its not my particular scene, there are some livelier venues too, not in you face, but available if you look for them.

I've never been to Sharm and probably never will now that I've found El Gouna. It just suits me and my other half. There's lots to love in El Gouna, and if you're looking for a quality holiday, a bit different from the norm, I'd say its definitely worth a go!

Cheers 💝

manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ghost town or lively

thanks for all your replies they were very helpful.We like to sit outside nice bars and watch the world go by,we also like jumping on local transport for days out,so el gouna sounds perfect.Next problem where to stay,I am looking at five hotels so any help would be much appreciated.

Fanadir (I think looks best)

Sultan Bey

Steinberger Golf (even though I don't play)

Mosaique

Dawar El Omda

They all have for and against so looking for within walking distance to nightlife and clean.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ghost town or lively

We stayed at the Mosaique soon after it opened a couple of years ago, but took most of our meals and used the pool at the Fanadir, it's sister hotel, immediately next door.

The Fanadir is a nice, intimate, hotel with considerable ambiance and character. It has a 'boutique' feel, is adults only, and has a relaxing pool area in its inner courtyard. It's in a quiet spot on the new super yacht marina with lovely views if you can get an outer facing room. It's only a short, pleasant walk along the waterside promenade to Abu Tig marina - five minutes max - or you can use the road at the front of the hotel, or catch an open air bus from the stop immediately outside the reception to Downtown. The hotel doesn't have a beach or a lagoon front of course, but I believe they have an arrangement for guests to use the beach at the Moods bar in Abu Tig Marina, or a shuttle service to Buzza Beach where the kite surfers provide an all day display - conditions permitting. Not so good for swimming perpaps as the sea is rather shallow there and cordoned off for safety.

Haven't stayed at the other hotels so difficult to comment (we always stay at the Sheraton - our personal favourite) but the Steinberger is a five star - though a little further out of the town than the others you list. Sultan Bey has a nice lagoon front position and is very close to Downtown. Probably wouldn't put the Dawar el Omda at the top of my list, and of the two hotels, Mosaique and Fanadir, very similar, but think the Fanadir has a bit more in terms of facilities and communal areas.

By the way - you like to sit and watch the world go by from a pavement cafe or open air restaurant or bar, overlooking a beautiful marina filled with multi million pound yachts? You've hit the jackpot!

Have a great holiday wherever you stay.

Cheers 💝

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ghost town or lively

Hi I'am coming back to El Gouna for the 3rd time in 5 years in the 19th, I would recommend a Villa or apartment as eating out is so reasonably priced we don't like being tied to on place.

We are staying in the South Marina so Downtown and the Marina are a slow 15 minute walk away or a few minutes by tuk tuk.

This is my chill-out holiday to forget about City working for a couple of weeks, no blackberry no internet just R&R. It will take me no time at all to slip into laid back mode and embrace the pace of El Gouna life.

All of the comments above are spot on, it is certainly no Ibiza and on the other hand its defiantly not a Ghost Town. Give it a try i am sure you will have a great time, just for reference my party is 5 with ages 42, 38, 37, 33 and my 15 year old daughter who wanted to come on the adults holiday for the first time!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
53 posts
1,620 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ghost town or lively

Hello roo9ney,

A friend and I stayed at the Fanadir for two weeks at the end of June. I just submitted my review and it should be posted in a few days. I have more information on El Gouna (which would probably be more use to you) and want to put on a Trip List, but this does not allow me the option to post more of the many pictures that I took while on vacation. So I need to find another option for my other observations from restaurants/bars, buffets, water conditions, beaches, downtown, where to shop for food to additionals items I have yet to see addressed in any of the reviews of forums. So, check out my Fanadir review shortly and get back with me if you have other questions.

9. Re: ghost town or lively

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about El Gouna