We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to El Gouna....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi all

We are booked to visit the TCOV at the end of January for our first wedding anniversary and have a few questions. For info, we are booked all inc with Thomas Cook (via Co-Op travel):

- where do we get our visas from when we land? Our travel agent said not to trust the person picking us up as they will try and rip us off!

- What facilities do you get in your room (ie safe, hairdryer, tea/coffee)?

- can you recommend a good diving company?

- can anyone recommend a good tour company that runs excusions from el gouna to luxor?

Think that's all for now.

Thanks

Vanessa

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi

Congrats - hope you have a great holiday.

Sorry, haven't stayed at the TCOV, but regarding visas, you buy them in the arrivals hall on landing. Thomas Cook rep will probably be waiting for you and you'll be directed to their visa desks, but we travel independently, ignore all the reps, and buy our visas from the kiosks on the left hand side of the entrance as soon as you arrive. The cost of the visa is officially 15 dollars, or nearest equivalent exchange rate, so it does vary. In April, we just put £10 each in our passports and handed them over, and amazingly it was enough! However, usually you can expect to pay between £11 and £13 each.

It's a bit of a scramble when you arrive at the airport. Try not to get stressed, go with the flow, and you'll be amazed when you finally arrive in El Gouna, drive round the Marina, and see the view from the TCOV.

Enjoy!

sheffield
Level Contributor
708 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi,

we are at the OV now on our second visit and due back Sat. I will post information when we get back and you can feel free to message me for anything.

Its a fantastic hotel. going back in March for third visit.

calisle
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

you get a safe and hair dyr and towel card as well if you want a coffe in morning just ask as emad at check in desk for a kettle and two cups you can get milk at bar

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Thanks for your replies. I'm sure I'll have some other questions shortly.

Vanessa

sheffield
Level Contributor
708 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi Vanessa,

As promised. At the side of the hotel, next to Peanuts bar is the Blue brothers diving. I have a brochure and a leaflet. The cost is 25 Euro per person including equipment.

The web address is www.bluebrothersdiving.de

Email info@bluebrothersdiving.de

If you have problems with the site you can message me your email address and I will scan and email the brochure to you.

Feel free to ask any questions about the hotel

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Vanessa, have a look at Orca Dive Centre on the internet. We have dived with them for the last seven years and no problems. The boat goes from "the front" of the TCOV but the centre is five minutes walk around to the harbour. We check in on the first day, "catch" the boat outside the hotel (1 min away) and only go back to the dive centre to pay. Just another choice for you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi Vanessa!

We have used Colona Divers twice for beginner´s snorkelling tours. They have been very good, with nice and professional attitude, good boats and good food. You will find them in TC Rihanna Resort, close to Downtown. http://www.colona.com/elgouna.lasso

I haven´t stayed at TCOV but I´m pretty sure you will have a great time. You´ll find a lot of very good restaurants i El Gouna, among them Moods across the Marina (excellent sea bass) and White Elephant in Downtown (well-cooked Thai).

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi,

We were first timers to El Gouna back in April and about to go back for our 2nd visit. Can't comment on hotel as we stay in a villa.

We are not divers (yet!) but went out snorkelling with Colona Divers who are based in the Rhianna hotel. I see others have also mentioned them in their replies too.

We observed the people diving that day (both snorkellers and divers on the boat) and were very impressed.

Nice boat, crew and a lovely lunch on board too. We will definitely being going back to them.

Enjoy El Gouna - we loved it, hence we are going back next weekend, as so many other people on this forum do again & again!

North Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Hi Ania,

Glad to hear you are returning to El Gouna. We have a Town House in South Marina so our paths may cross if you become a regular. I've heard the weather is quite warm for this time of year and low winds so hope it continues for your holiday. We hoped to return in November but have booked for January so will have to wait.

Enjoy.

Marcus

Surrey
Level Contributor
976 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visit to El Gouna....

Definitely warm at the moment, just back - about 90 degrees most days and didn't need to wear sleeves at all in the evenings, and probably the calmest in the way of breeze/wind that I've ever experienced in El Gouna. Hope it stays like it for you Ania.

And despite wearing 'that dress' Marcus - I didn't get spotted! :-)

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna