We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Much as we love El Gouna for a relaxing holiday, we've decided it's really time to dip our toes into some of the cultural venues Egypt has to offer and base ourselves on the Nile for part of our next holiday.

Hotel wise, I like the look of the Maritim Jolie Ville on Kings Island - bang in the centre of the Nile and away from the hassle of the streets of Luxor. I know Scouselady has also been there and gave it a good review, and I find the location very attractive - having only ever viewed the Nile from the air up until now.

Has anyone any recommendations for a tour company who will arrange this for us and within a budget, or can it be done independently? I'm travelling from Manchester Airport and prefer to only take one flight each way, rather than go through Cairo. Are private road transfers between Luxor and El Gouna safe enough these days, or are convoys still the norm?

Any suggestions much appreciated for a not very adventurous Red Sea traveller who still wants her El Gouna fix but is trying to spread her wings!

Edited: 10:35 am, June 15, 2012
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Hi, as far as I can recall (old age you know!!) the convoys had stopped when we were in Luxor last year. Not sure if they have started up again however. From Luxor we could have easily arranged a day trip to El Gouna using a private tour company, who we used for a few trips, and previously for a whole day when we flew over from Sharm. (Check website for Real Life Egypt) If you are doing Luxor first, I am sure there are loads of tour operators who would take you to EG by road. Not sure about doing it the other way around, but someone will know!

No doubt there will be loads of recomendations from regular's on the Luxor forum. Hope you have a good time, we found it very safe!

We would have been going back to the Jolie Ville this year but Monarch pulled all their flights so we are going back to EG - hurrah!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

I would first check if there are any UK companies that will do the 2 centre style with a week in each.

I would also advise keeping an eye on the FCO page at fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt (you can subscribe for up-to-date e-mails) for any travel warnings, especially as at the moment thi ssection:-

"When driving outside cities local security authorities may request that you travel in convoy. You should comply with these instructions. You should avoid travelling with unlicensed tour operators and should not travel around Sinai by road after dark."

I would also suggest checking with your insurance if you thought about using any local companies to organise your travel, which will no doubt be less expensive than a UK one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Hi,

The Maritim Jolie Ville on Kings Island is a great choice. It was refurbished recently and they have an infinity pool with stunning views over looking the Nile. It has a very tranquil setting and is also well positioned to see all the major sights of Luxor.

To combine it with El Gouna you can now transfer from El Gouna to Luxor or vice versa by road without a convoy.

Hope this helps a bit

Dan

North Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that information I will keep it in mind too for when we visit.

Marcus.

shropshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

This is also a trip we have been considering as we visit EG often so the more advise giiven on this question from wirralite would be appreciated.

Jenny

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

One obvious (from it's name) company that might be worth a look is

http://www.discoveregypt.co.uk/twin-centres

I would also check with the standard high-street names such as Thomson, TC Kuoni etc. to see if they will do anything customised, although that would no doubt, inflate the price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

can any one tel lme what ther weather is like in EL GOUNE in january want to take hubby for his birthday went there a couple of yrs ago just for the day but that was in september .

liz

North Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

Hi Liz,

At worst it would be warm sunshine in the day with a cooling breeze. Evenings are cool and appropriate clothing required. The wind can be quite cool in January but theres no guarantee that it wilbe. Just ensure jackets are taken in case.

January can also be very warm with lesser breeze, however its not guaranteed. It is their winter but of course not to us. The sea is generally not warm at this time but some hotels have heated pools.

I know i've been not commital but I have experienced it quite cool and extraordinarily hot on other years over the five I have visited at that time.

Marcus

blackpool
Level Contributor
318 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

h i there, I too fancy maritim jollie ville, its on my to - do list also , great minds think alike !! I read also that they do tours ( jollie tours) from the hotel, to all the sites which are much cheaper than the thomsons or first choice etc. Check out Longwood holidays, they do twin centered holidays. good luck with the search x

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor/El Gouna Two Centre Options?

We have stayed at Maritim Jolie Ville and the Sheraton.

The Maritim is beautiful and it's private setting is lovely but it is isolated and you can't walk into Luxor. If you don't want the hustle and bustle of the town but within walking distance I would recommend the Sheraton.

We did get hacked to bits by the mossies on Maritim but didn't at the Sheraton. Could be luck but who knows.

Whichever you pick, you would have a lovely holiday.

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna
Recent Conversations