We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor to Dahab

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor to Dahab

I want to travel from Luxor to Dahab on about 26 or 27 December 2013, Would it be better by train or bus? How do the trains in Cairo connect with the bus to dahab - time wise. Appreciate help, thanks

Yolanda

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Why not fly? 45 minutes Sharm to Luxor

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Thanks, but budget restraints!, internal flights pretty expensive, and travelling by land I get to see the area! although some is at night!

ny
Level Contributor
387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor to Dahab

For whatever its worth i'm heading from Luxor to Dahab on the 27th as well. Taking train to Cairo then a bus. Let me know if you want to meet up. Always good to have company...

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor to Dahab

No prob, not quite sure if 26 or 27th but we can keep in touch. Will be in dahab 4 days then heading to jerusalem. Company always good!

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Hi, so I've got no first hand experience with this, but here's some links and considerations-

Train gets into Ramses Station about 8 supposedly, right? I think that most people find there is some delay...You then need to get from there to Turgomen Station, map here-

siwawi.com/en/landing/going-to-siwa-by-bus

(i know that's a Siwa page, but same station) That won't be far- you can see the train station on the map as "Cairo". Few minutes walk or a very short taxi ride.

There's a schedule of Cairo-Dahab busses here-

ask-aladdin.com/Egypt-transport-system/bus_t…

But here's the thing (and again, I'm talking from hearsay around here and other comments on the forum)- the direct Cairo-Dahab bus is not running, or at least, is not allowing foreigners on at this time. Instead, you have to go to Sharm first. So that adds a couple hours to your journey and requires another connection. Impossible to say whether this will change before your travel so that you could go directly from Cairo-Dahab; it's an ever-changing situation and this is always on-again-off-again.

Like whitcop, given the lengthy travel times and several possibilities for delay, I'd fly. But to each their own. Have a nice trip.

Edited: 6:36 am, August 09, 2013
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Is there a ferry boat Hurgada to Sharm? If so, you could take a bus to Hurgada, ferry to Sharm, bus to Dahab.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Would have been ideal but believe the ferry was stopped a few years ago...

Modesto, have extensively investigated my options, and taking into consideration delays inthe public transport, are going to just take the chance and go for it, part of the backpacking budget travellers itinerary i suppose!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Correction...

the Dahab bus goes through Sharm anyway. It is the Cairo - Taba - Nuweiba buses, which go through Nakhl in the middle of Sinai, which are currently off-bounds for foreigners.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Ah, thanks.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
97 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor to Dahab

Hi yols57

For sure you know the condition now in cairo isnt stable and no one know what it will be on dec wish it will be stable . But now the railway is stopped for 14 days now and will begain to work again in 1 September . The ferry is stopped also from years . I will give you another way to reach dahab from luxor avoiding cairo if there are troubles . You can take bus to hurghada and then take bus from hurghada to sharm ( operated by very good company called go bus offered for this trip luxury buses with individual screen for each passenger this cost 110 LE ) it may be long trip 10h from hurghada to sharm . Then from sharm alot of buses to dahab

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations