We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

Melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

Hi all,

Today I went to 3 pools for snorkelling. My driver (who charged me 70 LE) took me to Family House restaurant and the owner showed me the menu. Went out snorkelling and then when I went to order the obligatory lunch, the owner said that I could not order from trhe menu, there were only 3 things available to eat and each cost 75 LE.

1. I was not told this when I was first given the menu

2. Only 3 other egyptians in restaurant and they did not have to order lunch at all

3. When I questioned this, the owner got quiet nasty and told me that I could afford it anyway.

I ended up saying I would not have lunch but would pay for the use of the restaurant while I snorkelled. He charded me 50 LE. I paid and got out of there as fast as I could. Would not recommend this place to others. There are lots of other restaurants to choose from

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

Actually all I can tell u that u don't have to pay anything for using the place and 50 is too much for nothing, u can only order a drink and pay for it or take ur stuff and go to any other restaurants beside u.

My big adice to u or anyone in Dahab, is to never ever use a driver directly to deal with him to make a trips or excursions or anykind of activities except transportation inside town , u can deal with trusted tour operators or excursion offices and i recomend King safari Dahab offices they r trusted and proffesinals with great prices and service.

Egypt
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

@ stocks_guard

Why don't you have to pay anything when you are using a restaurant to put your things and to hang around? For my opinion it's fair to eat or drink something at the place you are using. Why they should offer the place for free?

Often I see people spending the full day in a restaurant while only having one coffee. But they use the sunbed all day long. In this cases they should be charged a minimum fee.

But as I understand loulou26_9 was planning to eat something but got treated not in a nice way... sorry for that.

And I agree that 50 LE is too much! Unfortunately the people often don't understand that guests will not get back to them if they get overcharged...

West Midlands
Level Contributor
907 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

We had a similar problem when we went to the three pools, We had drinks on arrival and put out things down, some of the group went out snorkelling and I stayed in the shade of the restaurant as I was not feeling very well, I was pestered every 5 minutes to drink something and to eat something. We had fully intended to eat lunch and stay for the day, but the owner approached the rest of the group when they got back saying he did not have enough money to feed his family that night unless we ordered food there and then as it was mid morning we did not want anything at that point but when we said later he kept on saying he could not feed his family and we had lots of money so in the end we left. We did leave a tip and obviously paid for the drinks. This spoilt the whole day and put us off going back to the three pools.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

My disaster rip off experience at Family House Restaurant actually gets worse.

When my driver picked me up at the hotel in his jeep, the owner of Family House restaurant was in the front passenger seat. When I was directed to get into the back of the jeep, there were 3 empty petrol plastic containers in the back of the jeep. I was not pleased about getting in with these containers as they smelt of petrol, so the owner of the restaurant got into the back of the jeep and I got into the front passenger seat. Then the hour long journey to 3 pools from Dahab began.

The reason it took so long was because we made a number of stops. First was to the supermarket so that the restaurant owner could do some shopping. We also had to wait here a while as the restaurant owner needed to meet someone here to do some business. The person didn't turn up, so we went to meet this person and the business was transacted. Next we stopped at a neighbour to the driver so that the driver could pop in to have a chat. Next we went to the service station to fill up the 3 petrol containers for the restaurant owner. Finally, we heade off to 3 pools.

So, after being quiet accommodating in allowing the restaurant owner to use my paid transport to do his various business transactions and shoping, I felt very very used and abused. He, on the other hand got free transport plus 50 LE for nothingand probably had no guilty feelings at all, as he stated to me "I could afford it'.

If you do go to this restaurant, please mention that I have writen an account of my experiences on tripadvisor.

Thanks everyone, for your comments, and Josy I agree, this sort of thing does make you feel yucky.

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

I am very sad to hear of this. I visited Dahab last October and was more than happy to use the restaurants recommended by the dive guide as generally they also had a toilet and some sort of shower / fresh water facility to rinse ourselves off after diving.

I found the food to be tasty and good value and the Bedouins to be very hospitable. It was great to be able to leave our stuff somewhere safe where it was looked after while we were diving and also to have shade and a sun bed. I didn't experience any of the emotional blackmail you mention which does sound off putting. The only issue I had was that the portions were huge so I generally ended up sharing my lunch with the local kids!

I think if you are using the facilities it is fair enough to expect to pay for refreshments but I am sorry you were harassed into doing so. I loved Dahab and will definitely go back, so I hope this behaviour is not going to become common place.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

We used the 3 Pools Cafe. The staff was very nice and we ordered what we wanted off the menu. They let us hang out for most of the day and snorkel. Our driver knew them and took us there for our trip. They even took the beers we brought with us to the kitchen to keep them cool. To top it off, the food was very good!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

I agree...I used King Safari. I got charged a little more as I was going there solo. I was dropped off at Aqua Marine. I had a longer wait to get picked up, than was expected. I didn't have enough money for eats, but did order a cold hibiscus tea. No one bothered me or asked me to wait elsewhere. The wait staff was polite and concerned about my long wait.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

I agree with FayeW. Most of the restaurants are nice and the owners are friendly. You just need to know the prices as it's in their nature to try to overcharge you. I would also recommend 3 pools restaurant and ask for Osama. He can give you good advise and organise everything for you and the prices are sensible. I also know the Owner of the Family Restaurant and he is not as bad but very business focused. And let's don't forget this is their only income as they don't have many opportunities otherwise. This businesses struggle in the current situation as most people are afraid to go outside the hotel borders. Definitely one of the most friendly communities on the planet and worth paying your 65LE surly for a bit more than just a lunch. Baraka restaurant is also good. Please support bedouins

Melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

All,

I am fully supportive of the Bedouins and had fantastic meals throughout Egypt at many Bedouin owned restaurants. At the family restaurant I was intending to have lunch and when I was originally handed the menu, I had picked something out that I was planning to order.

My problem with the owner of the Family Restaurant is that he lied and was nasty and rude and aggressive. As a single solo female traveler it is my responsibility to warn others like me, about experiences where I felt unsafe.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dahab - 3 pools - Beware of Family House Restaurant

I agree with you re Family Restaurant. This guy is a bit mad but I learned how to deal with him. He is obviously lacking some customer hospitality skills and assumes everyone has lots of money. I still have occasional coffee at his place just to maintain a positive feel with everyone down there but I tell him how much I can pay before he serves, and he knows now it's ether this or nothing. This guy is very clever though. He has big knowledge about Egypt and knows about current affairs anywhere in the World.

Get answers to your questions about Dahab