We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go-----is that the question?

scotland
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go-----is that the question?

Just returned from a holiday in Dahab, and felt I should write and try to persuade anyone who is undecided to just go ahead and book a trip. It was really sad seeing the local people desperate for your custom, it was so quiet at Christmas and New Year. This should have been their busiest time of the year. Everyone you met said that it has been a poor situation this last year or so.

Dahab is safe, whether you are a single female, a family with young children,or a senior citizen, the Egyptian people are wonderful who will welcome you with open arms.

In Motion
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

No, this is not a question :)

Just arrived in Dahab, it's nice and warm, and am looking forward very much to some proper food and a couple of beers with it...

It is rather quiet, true, but not dead, and isa it will get better.

smhslm
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

Totally agree with last post. Go, Go Go , we are a family of 3 and have stayed in Sharm and Hurghada several times before discovering Dahab. It is our favourite place in Egypt so far! Really laid back with lovely locals, fab restaurants, brilliant snorkelling.

We were there over xmas and New Year and it was lovely, would definitely recommend.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

We agree, my wife and I have been here a few days and we're having a lovely time.

What's nice is that although the shop keepers and restaurant owners obviously want you to come in and buy things, they are very accommodating and friendly and can take "no" with a smile and good grace. They approach you with a smile, are very friendly and try to help you wherever they can.

It feels somewhat authentic as opposed to being out and out touristic, yet they rely on tourism so as for feeling safe, it's actually a bit of a tourist bubble here and they take security very seriously.

Give it a go!

Edited: 3:50 pm, January 14, 2013
London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

I was there in Sept and couldn't agree more. Really friendly, laid back place with some lovely diving. I ate on my own a couple of times before meeting friends diving and there was no hassle, just thank yous for choosing their restaurant and a 'please come back'. I loved it there and would definitely return :0).

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

I couldn't agree more! being in Dahab over Christmas was one of the best holidays we have had! We were asked a thousand times before we went "is it safe". We laughed as we enjoyed the wonderful beaches, hospitality and activities wondering in reality if there was actually a safer place in the world! People look after you so very well, you can feel like a king! Enjoy.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

GO GO GO. Egypt, although going through a transition, is safe. Do not be scared to go to Dahab or any other place in Egypt. I live here and as Americans we feel 100% safe. The people of Egypt love and welcome visitors and you will be hard pressed to find a country where the locals are more friendly and welcoming. So come to Egypt its hospitality awaits you with open arms. Oh and Dahab is THE best place in all the world for a nice, laid back vacation. It is OUR FAVORITE place and not because we live here, it was our favorite destination while we lived in the US and always dreamed of coming back! Now its just a six hour drive... heaven indeed!

Dahab, Egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

Hello,

I'm writing to you from Dahab (living here most of my year) and I'm very happy to see your positive comments! The same things I keep on repeating in the last years! :-)

Not many people had the luck and the privilege to meet this earthly paradise (Dahab) and it's very nice for you to share it with others! :-)

Hope to see you all here guys,

bright greetings from the beautiful Dahab!

Sonia Serravalli (www.dahabtravel.eu)

8. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, March 29, 2013
Scotland
Level Contributor
618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

#8; Interesting that you should be speaking about this guest house in the third person as you are the owner.

All your posts are basically advertising your guest house.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
6 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To go or not to go-----is that the question?

Come now and enjoy...it is not crowded which is great for the tourist and yet there are enough people here to meet travelers, families, and seniors. I am enjoying my first stay and will definitely return soon...summer vacation and maybe Christmas...Love the atmosphere and views as well as snorkeling. It is safe and clean air.... While I now am working in Cairo I am loving the escape and wonder why so many colleagues are in the snow in Europe while the Europeans are here!

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations