We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Dahab right now?

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Dahab right now?

We are planning a weeks trip to Dahab from Wednesday 12 December, somewhere we've always wanted to go, Given the current events in Cairo am experiencing some trepidation ..... Should I be concerned? Shall we come anyway? Any advice gratefully received, thank you for your time ...

Dahab, Egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

Hello, Dahab is (as usual) still safer than any city in Europe. I've been staying here 6-7 months a year in the last 7 years and I saw how many damages the mass media caused us every year because of something different, while here we feel like in paradise... :-) if I could, I would stay here all year long. Dahab is a unique place, a place apart. I hope to meet you here, weather today around 23 degrees (18 at night) and usual amazing light! :-)

Sonia Serravalli (Italy), www.dahabtravel.eu

Edited: 4:02 am, February 08, 2013
Dahab, Egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

Hello, I've been living in Dahab "part-time" in the last 7 years, I'm writing from Dahab and I can still confirm that this paradise is still safer than many cities in Europe :-) Come and enjoy our wonderful weather, see you there! :-)

Sonia Serravalli

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

Just came back from a wonderful trip to Dahab including a trip into the desert. The bedouins were unbeliveably hospitable and at no point did I ever feel unsafe. They looked after us and I believe would not take us to an area that their tribe was not familiar with.

Egypt is an enormous country, and although everyone has an opinion on the current political situation, events in Cairo do not seem to influence those in Dahab directly. While I believe Sinai has its own issues, the overwhelming impression was that people want visitors to come. The revolution has had a harsh impact on tourism, so if you're planning a trip, of course, be wise and don't go anywhere you are not comfortable with, but do visit.

It's been one of the most fantastic trips I have taken in recent years. The Egyptians are warm, have a brilliant sense of humour and go out of their way to make sure you are looked after and have a good time.

New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

I'm just going to bump this thread again! I know it's a repeated question but awhile back I was reading that it might not be safe to go to St Catherine's/Climb Mt Sinai. Any word on it? It seems to have gone quiet. I will only have 3 days there so I want to make sure I plan everything properly.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
270 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

If the FO advice in the UK is do not go to St Catherines monestary then I would not go as your travel insurance would be null and void. But there is no problem with Dahab, excellent interesting place, people wonderful and it is still on the safe list. Food great, some superb restaurants in the town of Dahab and brilliant snorkelling and diving. We went last Nov 2012 and had a great time at the Tropitel Dahab.

In Motion
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

St Catherine is absolutely safe, just as getting there. I actually do this trip quite often. True, there is a FO advice to the contrary, but we hope that will be changed soon. For the 16th of March a lot of ambassadors have been invited to St Catherine to let them see the situation themselves, hope they will come. The leaders of the South Sinai tribes are lobbying the government to have these restrictions lifted, as it is hurting the locals in a big way.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
270 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

Excellent news, we went to St Catherines 2 years ago, fabulous trip and that is how we discovered Dahab as we stopped for a meal there at Al Capones (superb) and I would not hesitate to go again once restrictions are lifted. Hope you get a result!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

As someone who lives in Dahab:

A few months ago someone broke the glass front door of my friends shop in a pretty central road (Lighhouse) and robbed them blind (stole the safe etc). Things are definitively changing, like the new law making it illegal for foreigners to own land in any form or shape (despite some people having houses there) and some of the locals are becoming hostile towards foreigners who live/work here. More often that not, its Bedouins who commit the crimes here and the Police are too scared of them to act. 3 Years ago safety was not something I was the least bit concerned with, now when we walk down the street we quite often have kids throwing rocks at us, swearing at us etc and I strongly believe this behavior reflects the attitude of the parents towards foreigners. Every time I leave home I'm paranoid someones going to break in. This week someone tried to break into another friends house in the middle of the night in Assalah, but ran off after waking the occupants.

On 25 December 2012 there was a shooting right in the center of Dahab (at the circle). During a police road block a car did not stop and several tourists witnessed plain clothed police firing shots at a car while running down the street, while tourists (including a Russian woman) was seen running from the 'line of fire'.

Dahab might be ok to visit, and its sad to say but the days of carefree living arebasically gone.

Edited: 7:50 am, March 17, 2013
Jeddah
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

South Sinai is the safest area in Egypt these days, otherwise I wouldn't start building www.bonsejourguesthouse.com after the revolution.

30. Re: How safe is Dahab right now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations