We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security situation in Siani?

Boynton Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
security situation in Siani?

American will be arriving near boarder on Wedsday evening, taking a bus from Telaviv to Elait. I want to go diving. Would love to cross over into Siani but last week two American women were kidnapped there for a few hours and the situation is heating up with the Arab spring/elections and so on. What do you think, stay on the Star of David side or cross over?

Tim

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security situation in Siani?

Hi Tim

I have just come back from Dahab and spoke to a couple of ladies who came over from Jerusalem (via Eilat) for the weekend. Their bus travel was safe and uneventful. I appreciate that it is frightening to hear of the attack but the security is very strong in the Red Sea area and their dependence on tourism makes the safeguarding and welfare of tourists a high priority. I would definitely not let that event last week stop me travelling from Israel.

Scotland
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: security situation in Siani?

If you were a gambler, I reckon you'd take the odds of getting mugged in London over being involved in an incident in SInai.

Dahab, Egypt
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: security situation in Siani?

i've just got back from dahab. no problems at all. don't worry about what you hear on the news, you will be safe. i am more scared of going to my local town where the odds of being assaulted or mugged are pretty high on a saturday night

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: security situation in Siani?

My son is due to visit Dahab early March to dive, is it safe, the reports in the press are not encouraging.

Scotland
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: security situation in Siani?

Did you read post #3?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: security situation in Siani?

I have a holiday planned to Dahab end of march with my husband and 3 small children.. I too am worried about safety.. harrassment.. is it as dangerous as it sounds?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: security situation in Siani?

See the discussion of security at the typoed "Is it OK to visit Share at the moment?"

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k512…

Scotland
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: security situation in Siani?

The Sharm bunch often work on the principle of, "Well, we just won't leave the hotel complex," which is a bit different from the crowd that go to Dahab. In Sharm a lot of them don't leave the hotel complex regardless. Reading the posts on the Sharm forum, some of the hotels have cancelled their tour bus trips to Dahab and St.Catherine's because of the very isolated kidnapping incidents that have occurred on the road where, as far as I'm aware, no tourists have been harmed in any way.

"Is it as dangerous as it sounds?"

I don't know. What are you reading? About pipelines being blown up? Border guards being attacked by Bedouin? Riots in Cairo? That's all a long way from your holiday in Dahab.

There was a stabbing and robbery in Sharm. It seems like an extremely isolated incident. Most of the people have a vested interest in your coming to Sinai and spending your money and telling other people to come, too.

The situation in Egypt is in flux right now and constantly changing so you have you go with your judgement but most recently returned posters on tripadvisor and Lonely Planet's thorntree site report that their holiday was fine. You'd have to have really rotten luck to get into a bad situation in Sinai.

Avoid trips outside Dahab if you think the situation warrants that but to stay around town, swimming, snorkelling, walking along the shore road, shopping, enjoying the food and the friendly people I reckon you'll have a great time.

IMHO. Yuk! Hate that textspeak...

And rent bikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUVfVBq9kuo

Dahab, Egypt
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: security situation in Siani?

I have lived in Dahab on and off for 5 years. Yoru biggest threat there is sexual harrassment if you are a woman- as well as psychological violence. They won't hold a gun to your head but they will go for your money. And by harrassment I mean relentless, relentless, relentless. It has driven many of my female friends out of there. After the revolution women have left the town because they were dragged off the street and assualted at night. It is the men who are you biggest problem there- not terrorism. Be prepared to be ripped off big time-for example taxis stopping in the middle of the desert form Sharm to Dahab and demanding more money. All sorts of scams. The Egyptians involved in the tourist industry, expecially in Dahab, are their own worst enemy -not the revolution nor terrorism.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: security situation in Siani?

this is an OLD thread Feb 2012

Get answers to your questions about Dahab