We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centrally placed hotel

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Centrally placed hotel

We have been to Sharm for the last 2 years but fancied somewhere slightly different. We are interested in Dahab. We like to go for a walk early (ish!) mornings and evenings and have noted on google maps that there is a promenade most of the way along between the hotels and the beach, looks excellent for walking. Can anyone suggest a wellplaced hotel for this. We were looking at the Mercure Bayview which seems centrally placed, but I have noticed that some people think this hotel is remote. We will be AI and not really interested in walikng around a town like Naama but do like a stroll, any ideas please?

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centrally placed hotel

The Mercure Bay is about 4.5 Miles from the centre. It is at the far end of the lagoon at 28° 27.495'N 34° 28.136'E. There are plenty of hotels on the sea front but I have only ever stayed in the Lagoon.

Phil

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centrally placed hotel

I've asked my son for suggestions of where to stay (he has been living in Dahab for the last 30 months) and he would recommend the Acacia Hotel or Blue Beach. Both on the sea front and opposite ends of the path.

Phil

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centrally placed hotel

Thanks Phil

After I posted this question I found your past posts with coordinates and checked a few of these on google earth. Problem is, and its not a new problem, companies like 1st choice include a map in their descriptions but either show a hotel in the centre of a resort or in a position which would be more appealing to visitors, as in this case.

I always look at resorts, islands or whatever on Google Earth to give me an idea of where I'm going but these are usually out of date. I think Google are using information from 2008 for this area and maybe older, some hotels are not even shown on Google Earth!

As I mentioned earlier we do like to go for a walk rather than be confined to a hotel complex for a week. At Sharks Bay most of the hotels either extend their walls right down to the water and disencourage walkers along their frontage, is this the case with the lagoon please. Google shows a big gap from the lagoon to the sea front.

Also I will throw in another question is it possible to hire a bike?

John

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centrally placed hotel

OK Phil

Thanks I will take a look at the Acacia Hotel or Blue Beach

John

Scotland
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centrally placed hotel

Very possible to hire bikes. And as there are quite a few bike rental businesses it's worth shopping around. For a short stay, LE30 a day is about the going rate. For a month it's possible to get a deal for LE300.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centrally placed hotel

Hi john. You can walk along the waters edge all the along the lagoon except for the few yards each side of the the jetty near the Iberotel. Most of the imagery on Google Earth is dated 2004 for this area but not a huge amount has changed.

Phil

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Centrally placed hotel

Ok Excellent, I like the look of the Acacia Hotel, we have only stayed in Sharm at large AI hotels and have not really considered a smaller hotel. Only problem is that we prefer to book a package through one of the tour ops like 1st choice, but oddly enough only in Egypt, we have booked plenty of other countries independently. Good news about the cycle hire, we did hire a couple of bikes last February in Nabq but they were wrecks and expensive, didnt appear to be many places there.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centrally placed hotel

I have been looking at the Dahab Hilton now! Just one thing there seems to be a bit of confusion with this hotel and others and that is the bottled water. We have stayed in Sharm 3 times and always had free water. A couple of bottles every day in the room and just ask at the bar and handed more, seems a bit odd to be AI and pay for water but the beer and wine is free! We stayed at the Holiday Village, Savita and Royal Azure.

Questions are: is water free at the Dahab Hilton and is there tea and coffee facilities in the rooms. I have looked through dozens of reviews but the seem to contradict.

John

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Centrally placed hotel

We are going to the Iberotel Dahab on the 26th, just noticed we didnt get a reply to the tea and coffee question in the last post. The most important question!

Scotland
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centrally placed hotel

Well, we all await the definitive tea and coffee report from our man on the scene at the Iberotel.