We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

Looking for a winter visit ro Egypt. Been to Cairo,Luxor and Hurghada and love the country. A friend who makes frequent trips to Egypt has recommended Dahab as having more character and is more realxing than Sharm. Having said that we often travel with another couple who do like 4/ 5* AI and having sampled it once with them, I did like the comfort and convenience. Being in our 60s, we are not averse to a bit of comfort.

I do like "relaxed" amd informal..does that sound like Dahab?

So how far from the centre of the town are the big hotels (I'm all for small and friendly but the others aren't)?

When we want a break from the hotel ,are there restaurants offering up Egyptian menus?

Entertainment? Mostly hotel based I assume but I do like local folkloric dance even when it's unashamably touristy.

What trips can you do from Dahab? How about Petra..is that praticable?

Shopping..not interested in designer...cheerful, touristy is fine by me?

No we are not scuba fanatics.Quite happy to wander and relax and read .

Neither are we averse to sharing hotels with familes and those a lot livelier by virtue of their age.

Any advice?

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

I'm also from Liverpool and love Dahab........although got to admit we don't stay there, we tend to stay in Nuweiba ( as it's so peaceful ) but do visit Dahab alot !

It's a very laid back resort, with loads of restaurants, from basic bedouin food ( Howoshi etc ) to traditional egyptian food, to fresh fish, caught that day, Italian, Thai, Indian...a good choice for everyone.

Dahab is a very relaxed, chill out, friendly place.nothing like Sharm All trips are available from dahab, if poss go to St Katherines Monastry awesome.Petra is amazing but there are alot more trips you can do .Coloured Canyon etc

Loads of shopping in Dahab............from the usual tourist shops to jewelleres and a supermarket where you can get anything ! Also don't forget the bedouin village !

Can't help with how far the hotels are from the centre of Dahab but am pretty sure that the hotels provide shuttle buses .

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

Thanks so much for that. Off to have a look at Nuweiba as well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

Hi ej47

So what have you decided? I too am wondering what would be best for me and my other half.

Im starting to lean towwards Dahab and away from sharm..

What did you find out re: how far hotels are from the centre of the action?

:)

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

The large hotels are 3Km from the old town. Most of the hotels run buses about 3 times a day.

Phil

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

nice one Phil :)

6. Re: Why might Dahab be for me and mine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Dahab