We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dahab - currency

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dahab - currency

We are due to travel to dahab in 2 weeks - am a little confused about the best way to take spending money? Haven't used travellers cheques in years but not sure whether to just take £sterling and change once there or whether we need some egyption currency before we go out so we can tip (or do we tip in sterling or euros?0

Any help / advice greatly appreciated!

thanks

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dahab - currency

Hi Shelly. Unless it’s from an insurance point of view don’t bother with travellers checks. My son works there and I’ve just asked him the rate - £1 = 9.6LE much higher than in the UK. You can change Pounds Dollars or Euros into LE at the banks (closed Friday and Saturday) without any hassle. As it’s very difficult to get small Egyptian notes in the UK we always take $1 (1 dollar US Bills) for tips they are worth about 5.5LE. In the resort every thing will be priced in LE and Euros but they will always take Pounds. If the banks are shut there are loads of ATMs that give a good rate but you will have to pay a surcharge for using your card abroad.

Another tip is if you intend to travel off the Sinai you will need a visa at the airport again buy it with Dollars ($15 ) its cheaper than in Pounds or LE. Just look for the Bank desk in arrival.

Phil

Stoke
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dahab - currency

Thanks Phil - really appreciate the advice

Cambridge, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dahab - currency

I'm just looking into a Caxton FX card, recently came out tops in a Which? Money magazine review. Key selling points are no overseas ATM fees, easy to load from your normal card, and can use it wherever you see the Mastercard symbol, just like your normal card but without any foreign transaction charges. Being able to withdraw cash from overseas ATMs without incurring foreign transaction charges is quite appealing!

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dahab - currency

Can i Ask: similar question, but wehn i've been recently every cost in GBP£ is the same in EURO - EG £10 or €10 - same items. so that leads me to think i'm better changing to Euro's in the UK, then getting a better rate on purchases (make sense?)

Only i've never been to dahab, so not sure if the same 'theory' applies.

So The real question is, What currency should I take / and / or is widley accepted by most outlets. - and am i right that there is no difference in the denomination asked for??

Thanks anyone.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dahab - currency

Please when changing your sterling into any foreign currency you ARE going to be CHARGED for this. Even where it claims commission free, try buying £100 of US$ or the same of LE, then sell that back to the bank and see what you get, I bet it's not the £100 you passed over.

Scotland
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dahab - currency

That's not necessarily commission, Steve. There's always a difference in the rate to buy and the rate to sell.

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dahab - currency

Sorry - confusion from my original message. waht i meant was;

Q: What currency is best to take to Dahab? GBP, EUR, USD?

...AND

Q: What currency are most things charged in? GBP, EUR, USD?

INFO: ...the reason i ask is that previously in Marsa some items were priced in euro, and whilst you could pay in any currency, the 'retail outlet/ shop/ cafe etc..' would charge in Euro's and Sterling as if there was no difference in rate.

EG:. a pint of beer or t shirt could be be priced €5 or £5. no difference in rate between the two - therefore as i can buy more euros for my £ i would be better exchanging in the UK my £ into € and paying in euro's whils in Dahab?.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dahab - currency

When I was in Dahab, everything was priced in Egyptian pounds.

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dahab - currency

Thanks Alfie

Scotland
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dahab - currency

Except diving which is often priced in Euros. I pay for my dives in LE and just make sure to know the current local exchange rate. There's never been a problem. Don't know if you plan on diving but from your other post you're planning on taking some Sterling and Euros so you're ready for anything.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations