We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Hi,

I've backpacked quite a bit by myself over last couple of years but due to the exams looming after xmas, i have booked a flight to Sharm el Sheik and staying for a week of diving, sun, watersports and r & r etc.. I was planning on staying and diving in Sharm but now I'm having second thoughts as I think it will be too westernized and cultureless. Dahab sounds more chilled and less developed. My only concern is that the diving in Dahab won't live up to the hype of diving in the Red Sea (everyone raves about diving in Sharm).

Any suggestions? Anyone been to both? or been diving at either one?

By the way I'm an Advanced Open Water diver but still relatively inexperienced.

Aaron

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Went to both this year and stayed 1 week just for diving. These are sea-side resorts, Dahab is just smaller than Sharm and there is no culture per se unless you venture to the sights at St Catherine's in the Sinai mountains. There is excellent diving in Dahab make no mistake and is on par with Sharm ! Here is a link to a web site with a description:

seamore-travel.eu/dahab-dive-sites/dive-site…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Hi,

I don't dive & have stayed 7 times in Sharm but visited Dahab twice. It's not for me. Here are some pics of various parts of Sharm, which is about 40 mins end to end, so you can see what you think. The Red Sea Resorts are all really just for sunbathing & diving; you have to travel to see any culture, although, as has been said, St. Catherine's Monastry & Moses' Mountain are a well-known landmark(s), accessible from both resorts:

Na’ama Bay

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Old Market, Hadaba / Ras Um Sid area.

New complex, Soho Square, White Knight’s Bay, Sharm (near the Savoy hotel & airport)

Fellow poster nwbs’s slide show of the Ice Bar in Soho Square.

A few night time pics of Nabq (apologies for some not being great; hadn’t quite mastered all the camera settings!)

Regards

Scotland
Level Contributor
624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

I can confirm two points: Sharm El Sheikh is westernised and cultureless and Dahab is more chilled and less developed.

Doubtless more comments will follow but if you want proper clubbing it's Sharm. Dahab has less nightlife but there are late night places and bars. It's all smaller and more intimate.

Dahab
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Hi Aaron,

I have been diving at both.

I have seen bigger fish in Sharm (Sharks in the summer) as there tend's be be more current. The Thistlegorm is a fab day out for Advanced divers .

However the coral is much better in my opinion in Dahab and I love the canyon and islands dive spot plus the Blue Hole is famous. There are also beautiful fish to see.

Sharm is very popular and I found many spots quite crowded with other divers (again this was the summer). At one dive sight I think I saw more divers than fish!

Dahab is a very chilled. Both have great restaurants and hotels.

I hope that helps,

Fiona

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

I have dived from Sharm, & as this where most/a lot of people dive from you may well be with a big group.

Dahab is quieter & you may well find yourself in a group of 2 or 3 people, & maybe even buddied up with a guide/instructor, which personally I found really good in my early days of diving because he/she could tailor the dive for you & you wouldn't have to worry about upsetting the rest of the group.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

Hi,

Snorkelling boat trips & learner dives are not restricted in Dahab atmo (following shark attacks) which may influence your decision.

Regards

7. Re: Diving: Sharm el Sheik vs Dahab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, June 22, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Dahab