We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing baby to Dahab

cambridge England
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Bringing baby to Dahab

HI

We have been to Dahab before but never with a little one, we are staying in dive school accomodation (not large hotel) close in Assalah. Can I buy milk? uht or fresh for the baby (14months) also are nappies very expensive? could bring a large supply if I don't pack any clothes for myself!

We are coming mid october, is there still likely to be mosquitos and how should I best protect the little one.

Many thanks

Lizzy M

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi Lizzy M.

I see you haven't got any reply so far. I need to know some things as well so I hope someone answers...

We are also going to Dahab mid October with a baby 10 months ole.

We will stay for 14 days and will bring food in glasses and milk (powder).

I contacted the hotel we have booked and they told us that we don't have to bring mosquito net because there aren't mosquitos this time of year.

I will bring some nappies, but I will buy them down there. They can't be more expensive then home...

What is the name of the hotel you have booked? Child friendly?

I have contact with several hotels and ask them all my questions. It seems like they don't know much about bringing babies....

Vibeke :o)

cambridge England
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi

Thanks for the information regarding the mosquitos, at least that is one thing we don't need to worry about. We are staying in a house so hopefully it will have a basic kitchen...

Thanks

liz

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi again.

I have now got some more answers about babyfood and diapers:

Yes you can purchase Nestle and other brands of baby food in Dahab. However the price is similar to that in the UK.

They do sell pampers and other local brands of nappies in the pharmacy and larger grocery stores.

I think that is a very good deal :o). Then I don't have to pack 5-6 kilos of babyfood.

We are also staying in Assalah, close to the beach. We have never been in Dahab before so if you have some tip or adwise about things to do I would appreciate it.

If it is only the three of you going to Dahab and want to meet let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi just been checking the forum and wanted to find out how you got on in Dahab with your little one?

I am planning on going out in January with my yearling! How did you find the people and beach and supplies for the little one?

It will be the first time we have travelled with him and the thought of the flight and travel before we even get there is scary.

;o)

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi.

Dahab was great. No wind, but warm and sunny. 30-36 degrees (October)

The people in Dahab are very nice. They love children and only want the best for them. The beach at the Lagoon is the best one, but I am glad we didn't stay there. We stayed in Assalah, the other side of town. From here we had 5 minutes walk to the senter and snorkeling just outside from the hotelroom. There is also beaches on this side, but not as nice as the Lagoon. At the Lagoon you have to go out by boat to snorkel.

We stayed 14 days at the Blue Beach Club, and loved it. Clean, not expensive, great staff, had a babycot and good food in the restaurant, that we could trust. We also had dinner at other restaurants, but the menues are same same almost all over.

RESTAURANT:

I would like to mention "The Kitchen". Tasty food, AC inside (nice for the little one), clean and great staff.

"Nirvana" is a very good indian restaurant. Tasy and also clean.

We eat early in the evening (6-8). Not so crowded and others with children.

Don't expect to much from the restaurants, they don't use much spices and herbes, so next time we are going there I will bring my own. Most og the food tastes the same.

FOOD ETC FOR THE BABY:

It depends on how old your baby is. We didn't know so we brought all food and diapers for 14 days. Our daughter was 10 months old and had some french fries, rice etc too. You will find cereals and jars of babyfood (meat/vedgetables and fruits, but only for 4 and 6 months old.

Known brand and only the pharmacies that sell babyfood a british woman told me. I was looking and looking down town but didn't find any. Found two places the last day: pharmacy behind the "Light House" and pharmacy 50 meters north of the Blue Beach Club.

If you need diapers buy Molfix. Pampers in Egypt is like plastic. Wetwipes: Easy Care without parfume.

I'm very happy I brought all food and diapers even if it was 14 kilos.

VACCINE:

We adults had the vaccine Dukoral(R). It is an oral, drinkable vaccine that provides protection against diarrhoea caused by Vibrio cholerae.

To be taken two and one weeks before departure. You have to be 2 years to take this.

…canada.com/drug_info_details.asp…

THINGS TO BRING:

Sunlotion sf 15-30. 50 for the baby.

A small light trolly is good to have.

A thermos so you don't have to de in the room everytime you want to feed the baby.

Babyspoons

Anti-bac soap to wash the bottles, spoons etc. and a brush to wash with.

Snorkeling equipment. It is like swimming in an aquvaruim.

We bought a camera that could be used down to 5 meters. We have some great film and pictures from snorkeling. Pentax Optio W80 Shock and waterproof.

We bought "sack n seat" on the plane to Egypt. The Sack'n Seat is a portable child seat that can go anywhere they go.The Sack'n

Seat converts most chairs to a cozy, secure seat in seconds. The restaurant "The Kitchen" was the only one that had a high chair.

Sacknseat: http://www.kiskise.com/?categoryId=27796

When planning the trip think about how to get from the airport to Dahab. Bus is not an option since you have to take a taxi from the airport to Sharm el Sheik then bus from there.

We paid 210 Egyptian pounds to have a minibus-taxi with AC to pick us up at the airport and to drive us to anywhere in Dahab. Do NOT get a taxi outside the airport but order the taxi before you go. We sent an email to www.sheikhsalemhouse.com/getting_here.asp

Also a nice and quiet place to stay.

And last but not least, do not bring a lot of clothes, you won't need it. The baby used only 1/3 of what we brought. A t-shirt and shorts is what we wore every day.

Hope this will help you. I'll be happy to answer any other question you have.

Have a nice trip.

Send my love to Dahab.

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Blue Beach Club
Blue Beach Club
352 Reviews
Dahab, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
South Sinai
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi There

i think you have the answers about the baby food and the othere baby stuff and what i can say now is about what you can do and the baby will enjoy as i life in Dahab and i have son.

i recommend for swimming that to go to the kpublic beach and that by taking car or taxe it is near by Dahabya Hotel it is nice not deep and children love to play in the water there.

also you can go to wadi qunai Oasis as it have some water flowing down between the rocks and children also like to play in it.

hope that can help and hope to see you in Dahab.

Joseph

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Thats great advise thank you so much. My little one is now a year old and we head out the end of Janaury. We are going to windsurf but think the wind is very poor so it will be a family beach holiday spending time with the little one since my husband just got back from Afghanistan will be nice to all have some time together.

Will definately pack nappies and food that he likes. I think our luggage allowance will be through the roof, will compensate with less clothing though.

Will update how we got on when we return.

best wishes x

8. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:14 pm, January 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,816 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

Hi,

Plz refer to the forum guidleines & refrain from self-promotion on here; such posts are reported & removed.

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

Thanks & regards

10. Re: Bringing baby to Dahab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, July 24, 2010