We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

Can anyone tell us if mossies are likely to be a problem in June? I normally get eaten alive, even with Deet etc (hubby says he only takes me on holiday with him because I'm a good decoy - I get bitten, not him)!

Thanks.

Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

Unfortunately, yes there will be mossies.

I've just returned, and they weren't out every night, but my ankles were covered in bites from the couple of nights that they were around.

However, at least malaria isn't a concern in the area.

Have a great time - Dahab is a great place.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

Hi,

Mozzie tips from the Sharm forum; they find me any time, any place, any where:

MOSQUITOES:- Take Vit B1 pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol.

Holland & Barrett sell timed-release ones; our body doesn’t store if for long so you can begin them the day before the hols.

Some people say take yeast pills instead, or marmite!!! (Eeewww!). I acknowledge Vit B1 doesn’t work for everyone, but maybe it’s worth a try?

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho. It’s available online.

Some say get DEET from Boots, Jungle Formula. Please note that whilst DEET is effective, it can be harmful & should be used with caution. DEET is known to cause neurological damage, & once it enters the bloodstream, (after being absorbed through the skin) it makes its way to the nervous system, where it is known to cause seizures & even deaths. It can be especially harmful to children, which is why its use should be strictly limited with children.

Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning.

You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each).

Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

There's also something called a ''clickit' ; it gives small electric shocks to the bitten area, which is supposed to stop the itching.

Regards

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

Thanks for the tips!

It's B1 and mossie repellent on the ankles then!

Can't wait.

4. Re: Dahab - Mosquitoes / Mossies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, November 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations