We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

My husband and I have been planning to stay 6 nights in Dahab to dive (mid october) but now people are giving us mixed reviews. Saying it is boring and the diving is not good compared to Sharm. We are not much for nightlife and are looking for a relaxing beach stay, but more importantly, great diving.

Advice?

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

I;m curious if you have an answer for this question. I am considering going to the red sea for diving and do not know if i should go to Dhahab or Sharm al Sheikh. I'm a single male traveling alone. What would be your advice? My main goal is to get some great diving in. The night life is less important.

Thanks.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

Dahab is shore based diving and so not many current filled dives with Big things but I suppose its what you are interested in diving for. Obviously the area is not as built up as Sharm which some prefer especially if not after the night life. Below are two diving specific websites and the dive mag's review site which list dives and divers reviews of dahab but you can also compare what they say about sharm -If I was in your position Dahab would win hands down.

Sg

divesitedirectory.co.uk/red_sea_dahab.html

www.bigblueplanet.com/bbplocationdetail.jsp…

www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/searchresult.asp

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

Our advice is stay as far away from Sharm as possible! We ended up spending one night there and couldn't leave fast enough. We spent about 5 nights in Dahab and had a great time and fantastic dives. As Sq2 said, the dives are all from shore which keeps the price low (boats not necessary).

We stayed and dove with Coral Coast hotel (they are highly rated on this site) and got a great price on our dive/room/rental package. It's in a great location right on the beach a short walk from the town center, so it's a little more peaceful than ones in town.

Here's a link to our blog on Sharm vs. Dahab. Let me know if you have any other questions - like the best way to get to Dahab, etc.

realtravel.com/dahab-journals-j5781585.html

4. Re: diving in Dahab vs. Sharm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dahab