We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1773-Horrible_…

First off, let me start by saying I am a bit of a princess !! But even I can diversify when needed

I was VERY shocked to find Dahab on a TA list of horrible places to go.

Back in 2000 I went to meet an old school friend from England that was visiting in Israel and staying in a Hostel, I do not do Hostels and quickly convinced my friend to spend the night in a Bed and Breakfast with me. Her plan was to spend 3 weeks in Dahab and I would go with her for the first week. Prior to leaving I had purchased an invaluable book called the budgets travel guide to Israel and Egypt. It use to be available for every country you could think of - not sure if it is, still in print.

Anyhow, it became quite obvious to my old school friend that I hadn’t seen in 7 years that I was'nt the type to 'slum it' so to speak, and she warned me I was in for a bit of a journey.

Back then, there where only 2 ways to get to Dahab from Taba the Israel / Egyptian border. One was car, (I do not drive) the other "Dahab Taxi" and she told me in no uncertain terms it would probably be for me, an un-enjoyable experience !

Well, looking back I would cal it an adventure, at the time I may of had other words to describe it !!

The 2hr ( if I remember correctly) trip was something alright, it involved loud haggling with some men sitting in a dirty shack for a price for the ride,to Dahab, while your bags sat in dirty sand. Eventually a very crude un air-conditioned “mini-van” arrived and packed you in like sardines. And your bags ? Piled on the vans’ roof and tied down, to later get covered in dirt along the non existent road !

The first mini-van I got in to, I had to get out of, because it was just impossible to breath in it. The second van, I got VERY lucky with only 2 other people in it – However, I think I might have paid the driver extra to stop him cramming people in , I cannot remember. The ride to Dahab was an experience, the van flew down the roads and although the red hills looked dirty, stark and uninteresting on the ride back it all seemed quite beautiful, with stunning ocean views, below the roads.

Your Attitude can make or break a trip. Mine had obviously improved because by the end of the week, I started to see the beauty in the terrain !

Upon arriving in Dahab, I checked into a B&B and settled in. The room seemed clean, and my friend had told me beforehand to bring a bed sheet and pillow case, although they where not needed once we got there.

Well, the next morning I awoke at 5am to find 2 of the biggest coach roaches I've ever seen sitting on the walls. Well here is where I have a HUGE problem, I have a completely irrational fear / Phobia of cockroaches ( I know, wrong country to visit !) I flew out of the room and never went back in. My friend packed up my bags and I spent the next 2 hours sitting on the beach watching the sun come up shaking and crying !!

Later that morning after recovering from the ordeal I ventured out to look for a cockroach free room on a budget, the locals laughed at me when I said, no cockroaches – I’m terrified of them !!

I ended up finding a beautiful place for 30 (something !!) not sure if it was Canadian dollars or Egyptian pounds - it was 7 years ago !!

After that I never once saw a cockroach but I still got weary when the sun went down. And every night before bed, I would pull it in to the middle of the room and empty a can of Raid (yes they sell it in Egypt) in a circle around my bed !!

So my point is: Even with me being a Princess, I still enjoyed myself.

The Red Sea was stunning and made snorkeling an endless past time

The Egyptians are EXTREMELY CLEAN, kind, proud people. It amazed me that in the middle of the desert, you could see the Bedouin people wander around in these pristine white clothes that looked like they where just picked up from the dry cleaners !! Every morning you would see the town people, and business owners WASHING down the streets and SWEEPING them. There was nothing dirty about the place. It was my own irrational fears of cockroaches that made some moments challenging.

Since my visit in 2000 I am sure Dahab has changed, it is probably more accessible and modernized. Yes, there are cockroaches, but I think they are more of an outside insect in the Desert, than there because of dirt.

After all is said and done, Traveled in the right way, Dahab is far from being the "A Horrible place to go....

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

i agree, i also read that statement, i went in jan for the day to the blue hole, yes, it is a bit diff from say ,Sharm, but i liked the laid back aspect of the resort, we hired a taxi to take us from sharm, it was well worth it. We had lunch overlooking the sea at the Blue Hole beduoin camp. I couldnt stay there for a week as not that much to do or see at night, but def worth a day trip for sure. A thumbs up from us ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Blue Hole
Blue Hole
1,679 Reviews
Dahab, Egypt
Dahab
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

Glad to hear your message of support for Dahab, Your description of the taba border brought back memories! I first visited Dahab in 1993 and now i live here. Dahab has a unique appeal, it isn't sharm (thank god ) it has developed as a tourist destination in a very organic way without massive investment by hotel chains and so it has retained a lot of its original bedouin character. It isn't crowded and while it probably isn't the place for you if you need lots of nightclubs and events if you are after visiting somewhere a bit different but with good facilities you will probably enjoy it here - and theres a fair few clubs and bars too.

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Hoorn, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

Dahab was really great for us. We (2 adults and our 14 and 12 years old sons) stayed there for 4 nights at Bishbishi. They picked us up from Taba-border (nightmare border, but okay that's life ;) ) Arriving at Bishbishi was like arriving home. Warm, helpfull, caring. Dahab was a great place to be. Friendly people everywhere, great sports to snorkel, so no complains :)

Mentioned in this post
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

I had one of my best vacations in Dahab. I can see why someone could have a negative experience, the restaurants in "downtown" Dahab are little more than a shack. I, however, did not mind in the least. I'm one of the most picky persons when it comes to food quality and restaurant/ hotel cleanliness, but in Dahab all that is irrelevant. Sitting on cushions that have never been cleaned, surrounded by cats, eating food which was cooked on a gas lamp in a dangling lightbulb tent is not what catches your attention. Eating a wonderful meal, surrounded by happy people who spent the day on a gorgeous beach with amazing watersport options, is what matters. Dahab is magical. From amazing day trips to Mount Sinai to incredible surf and snorkel. Mind the urchins and stone fish and don't offend the locals and enjoy this place the way it's meant to.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Sinai
Mount Sinai
1,012 Reviews
Saint Catherine, Egypt
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
5. Re: Dahab, A Horrible place to go, Who says ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 06, 2009