We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Cairo to Dahab

Scotland
Level Contributor
312 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Cairo to Dahab

Hi All,

Any advice on driving Cairo to Dahab - should we take the route to Taba or down to Sharm and up to Dahab? Husband is Arab and used to driving abroad - however I am keen to now which is the best road, anyone with experience?

Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

In theory, foreigners are not allowed to go across the Sinai, i.e. via Nakhl to Taba. However, usually Arab nationals are not stopped but you might not be allowed if you are spotted. Furthermore, four wheel drive vehicles are also not allowed to enter Sinai though, yet again, Arab nationals and Egyptians, if driving one coming from Nuweiba Port having arrived by ship from Aqaba are.

But the best way now anyway, even for Egyptians, is to drive down the west coast to Sharm and then up to Dahab. Its about 50 km longer but will be much quicker as less hassle at the checkpoints of which there are many on the Nakhl Road.

The first 30 km are dual carriageway, then its single all the way to Sharm, and then dual again to Dahab.

Scotland
Level Contributor
312 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it and it's very helpful. I will pass this information to my husband and for the sake of another hour on the road I think we will stick to the west, down to Sharm. He knows this road best anyway, I've only ever travelled it once, on a bus, in the dark :) Thanks again

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

You might just give some thought to your insurance situation if you drive somewhere tourists are not supposed to.

I know I keep going on about insurance and it's very boring, but when you have had to cancel a couple of holidays for medical reasons, or think about the medical costs if you have an accident abroad, you realise it could be extremely important.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Foreigners are not allowed through middle Sinai road .. Taba to Nekhel . Even some Egyptians are not allowed through this road as it is not very safe

The road through Sharm ElSheikh is a bit longer but safer and less hassle

Scotland
Level Contributor
312 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and helpful responses, all advice appreciated

Scotland
Level Contributor
312 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Does anyone know of an insurance company covering trips to Sharm and surrounding area? We have insurance with our bank which will cover Cairo and immediately within the Sharm area, but it's unclear if it would cover the drive between Cairo and Sharm and Dahab itself.

Many thanks!

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Does anyone know how best to get to Cairo from Taba. Is going from Taba to Sharm to Cairo the only way or are there other alternatives. Can you take a private taxi through the Sinai.

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

This has been covered in other threads.

However, in short, foreigners are not allowed across the Sinai but must route through Sharm - and that includes taxis.

You can take the East Delta bus at 3 pm to Sharm and from there there are buses every hour and more to Cairo. Or you can take the same East Delta bus to Dahab and then take Go Bus. But the bus stations are not in the same place.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,017 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

#16 here https:/…85050369 mentions Campbell Irvine as doing insurance for those flying into Sharm so might be an idea to check them out

Edited: 4:05 pm, July 29, 2017
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Cairo to Dahab

Thanks a lot for the responses, so it looks like we can take a bus from Taba to Dahab and then from Dahab to Cairo right.

Reply to: Driving Cairo to Dahab
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dahab