We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Backpacking

India
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt Backpacking

Hi Everyone,

We are two girls from India planning to backpack Egypt. I wish to cover Cairo and Luxor (along with may be Aswan, and open to suggestions). I would then like to go to Dahab and border cross into Isreal to do Jerusalem for two days and fly back to India.

I see some difficulty in reaching the Taba Border. Internal flights are expensive. I am good with overnight train journeys but would not prefer a long bus jourbey. Could anyone guide me with going about this in a geographically feasible way?

Thanks in advance

7 replies to this topic
Kos
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt Backpacking

Flights Hurgharda to Sharm are jot so expensive, maybe even a ferry operating, then bus to Dahab from sharm few days in Dahab and bus to the boarder....sharm to Dahab one hour Dahab to Taba 2.5 hours

Dahab
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt Backpacking

Hello Raina,

Internal flights are only more expensive if you go via Cairo.

Flights Hurghada to Sharm operate 3 times per week. Same days as ferry - strangely! Sun, Tue, Thurs.

Here is the ferry company http://www.lapespes.com/booking

Trip up the coast to Taba via Dahab is very easy and taxis are cheap also.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
57 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt Backpacking

Hi Raina,

Well, to start off, don't spend more than two days in Cairo. The pyramids and the Egyptian museum are the main two things to see. Luxor and Aswan are a must. You can take a train from Cairo to Luxor, or a plane. The plane is way faster and not a lot more expensive.

You might spend some money from Luxor to Aswan because you most probably will go by a Nile cruise.

And by only spending two nights in Cairo, you shouldn't spend a lot there.

Then you can go from Dahab to Taba by taxi. Reaching the Taba border is not hard at all, it's just that there are many security checkpoints, which is normal, just make sure to have your passports.

While you're in Dahab, don't miss seeing Wadi El Weshwash, and maybe Mount Moses or St. Catherine, Blue Hole, Blue Lagoon and you could also pay a visit to Ras Shetan.

If you want, I can tell you about a very good guide I travelled with while in Dahab.

All in all, I think you pretty well covered Egypt. Excellent choice of cities, but don't miss Aswan and the Nubian Village.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt Backpacking

What to expect to pay for a taxi from taba to dahab or visaversa

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt Backpacking

Actually, there is a lot more to see and do in Cairo, Islamic and Coptic Cairo at least, Nile feluccas etc. But yes, you can cover those in 2-3 days as not all are very interested in Sakkara and Dahshur, although many find them must see sites too.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt Backpacking

to dahab go bus is the best to the border taba bus or taxi

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply