We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking taxis along the coast

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taking taxis along the coast

Looking for thoughts/opinions on the following itinerary for 2 weeks in Ecuador in October.

Purpose of trip: Decision on relocating for all or part of the year to do volunteer work in orphanages/sightseeing/50th Birthday.

Quito: 2 days

Otavalo: Day trip- 1 day -worth it??

Cuenca: 4 days

Salinas: 2 days

Puerto Lopez: 1 day

Bahia: 1 day

Mompiche: 1 day

Drive back to Quito

Questions: can we hire a taxi in each of the beach towns to drive us to the next town?

Can we find a driver near Mompiche/Pedernales to drive us back to Quito?

Is the schedule too aggressive?

Thanks for any and all help.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Parttwo:

How good is your Spanish?

Otavalo down to Cuenca offers great oportunities for sightseeing, if you can get a tour guide to take you, that would be the best.

Bahia-Mompiche and then to Quito is a little too much. The rest of the itinerary is fine.

Yes you can find a driver on each place. In the coast, specially the thing is you don't know what kind of quality of transportation would you find. Most cars at small villages are old and cramped. The other thing is they might not offer you accident/personal inssurance, something really necessary while been transported in Ecuador.

The most aproppiated thing would be to hire a vehicle+driver for the whole lenght of the trip, I think.

Find in the forums about good transportation + driver or a guide (even better). Try to find a company that is reputable and own its own vehicles so no middle man has to take any commision.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Thank you Dennis. Do you recommended driving from Cuenca to Salinas or flying to Guayaquil and then getting a driver there?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

You are welcome!

Get a driver better so you stop to see on the way the magnificent Cajas National Park and take a hike in it.

If you get a guide that will work as best because he/she can take you trough the trails to explain the natural history of the park.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 8:09 pm, July 30, 2011
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Based on experience as a tourist in Ecuador a few years ago and now as a resident of Ecuador, I think your itinerary might be a little aggressive - particularly the Bahia/Mompiche/Quito stretch.

Here are some driving times for your suggested itinerary:

Quito-Otavalo: 2 hours

Quito-Cuenca: around 8 hours

Cuenca Salinas: about 5 hours

Salinas-Pto Lopez: about 2 hours

Pto Lopez-Bahia: about 3 hours

Bahia-Mompiche: about 3 hours

Mompiche-Quito: I've never done this route directly, but I'll guess at 5 hours

So as you can see, you could be spending quite a bit of time in a car. Some people are comfortable with that while others get a little road weary.

On my first trip to Ecuador, I rented a car in Guayaquil. After two nights in Guayaquil, I drove to Bahia and spent a night there. From there I drove to Puerto Cayo and spent the night. From there to Pto Lopez for three nights. One night in Montanita. Drove from Montanita to Machala and one night in Machala. Machala to Cuenca for four nights before heading back to Guayaquil.

I made the mistake of setting my itinerary on the distance between the cities, not taking into account that driving in Ecuador is very different from North America. Ecuador has good highways, but the terrain often dictates that your speed is under 40 mph.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like to take the discussion offline. I currently live in Manta, but I am relocating to Banos in the next couple of days.

Richmond, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

I do agree With the last poster, if I were You I would probably flight into Guayaquil, then I would had a driver wait for me at the Airport and from there I would either stay one night at Guayaquil to see its beautiful Malecon and then go to Salinas or go straight from the Airport to Salinas and then to Puerto Cayo.

But I would save myself those 8 hours on the car coming down the mountain, so you will be nice and fresh to enjoy the rest of your trip on the beautiful coast of

Ecuador.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Thank you to all!

Washington, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

We are flying in to Guayaquil and spending the night there. The next day we are wanting to go to a rented condo in Salinas. Where do we get one of these drivers to take us? Do the hotels have them?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Hi,

We are in Ecuador now and all of the hotels can recommend good drivers.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

What is the cost of a taxi from Guayquil to Salinas? Are there busses? About how much would a rental car for about 4 days cost?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking taxis along the coast

Sorry I don't know these answers but Dennis Yepez might. We used him as a guide and he knows everything and reads these posts quite a bit.

Get answers to your questions about Salinas