We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montanita

Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Montanita

I want to explore the coast and look for a piece of property to buy.Which airport would be the best to land at? I have never been to Ecuador but I wish to move down there -I know sounds strange. I have down a lot of research and picked Costa Rica and Ecudor as places to relocate to. My husband took up with a Costa Rican lady, so, its Ecuador for me. New country new life. I am from Canada and I like nice warm places instead of snow and ice. Does any one have advice for me? Where to go -Who to see - What to avoid- Thanks. Montinita sounds like an interesting place.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
220 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montanita

Your decition its excellent, Am from Ecuador and the are of montaniata is great, more peacefull than other beaches, if you are looking for a property Olon, San Pablo are still land, in the area of montanita most of the land is sold out.

The best airport to land is Jose Joaquin Olmedo in Guayaquil...its better if you fine someone to take you to the beach and explore before come and live, there are few months in the year that the area get´s little cold from Jun to Sep because of the humbolt current that comes from the antartic.

Montanita its very much for backpakers, of course there a few houses that are beautifull especially near Capaes and Punta Blanca, all these area in a few more years will get more expensive as allot of people from Guayaquil are moving do to a better improvement of the road from this city.

If you are interested I can fine you a person that can help you fine the righ place, you need to be with someone local that know the area before you decide to move.

Paul

Skagway, Alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montanita

im thinking of buying a coastal place also , but ive never been im planning a trip soon so any new info you get please pass on. thanks david

3. Re: Montanita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, September 05, 2017
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montanita

I just returned from Ecuador, and my wife and I were doing some coastal real estate hunting of our own. The coast is beautiful, no question. Not the white sand of the Caribbean, but light brown sand that is somewhat similar to California, but very affordable.

From Salinas to just south of Manta (the "Ruta del Sol"), you will find the months of May through October to be overcast much of the time. In six days, we saw the sun for two hours. It was the first sun some had seen in weeks. We found that to be depressing. I am told that it is very sunny from December to April, and those must be amazing months. We were told that there is more sun in the area from Manta to the north, and I would check that out before buying anything.

Montanita is interesting, to say the least. Very much a surfer, backpacker town, with a party atmosphere. I prefer the beach just north of Montanita, called Olon. It is quieter and lovely - - but again, overcast during this time of year.

My recommendation would be to check out the entire coast of Ecuador. I would look seriously at the area between Manta to the north, at least as far as Canoa. Manta is a growing city with an airport.

I would highly recommend that you contact Mike Sager, at redwulf3@juno.com. He lives near Olon and can show you some beautiful properties along the Ruta del Sol - - everything from lots to homes on (or overlooking) the beach. See his website:

ecuadorproperties.com/EcuadorPropertiesCurre…

He helped my wife and I tremendously. Who knows, maybe we'll be neighbors?!

Suerte!

chicago
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Montanita

aren there buses that go from quito to montanita.

what the best way to tavel.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montanita

Best way to travel is to fly from Quito to Guayaquil, and to take a bus from Guayaquil to Montanita. Most domestic flights, not including the Galapagos, are about $70 for one leg of travel. Bus travel is very cheap, but often grueling, so I would try to minimize the miles traveled on bus.

If you are flying to and from Ecuador, you may be able to fly into Quito and out of Guayaquil. I did that on American Airlines: Miami to Quito and Guayaquil to Miami. It was actually cheaper than a round-trip ticket from Miami to Quito.

Toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montanita

Hi, this June I'm going to Montanita to study Spanish and to teach English to the school children there. I'd like to know if you visited Montanita, and if so, what was your experience like.

Thanks,

Muriel (aka Felicia)

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montanita

Montañita is hippie-go fun-nice beach. Its a bit cold in June, it is a relaxing place anyway, enjoy the beers and the teaching!

9. Re: Montanita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Salinas