We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategy for Monthly Rental

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Strategy for Monthly Rental

Girlfriend and I are looking to spend several months in Central and South America. Originally we we looking to book a place for several months, We have reconsidered and are now looking to make our airline reservations now for January 2012, book a hotel room for several nights and then do a search for a long term rental after we arrive. All this so that we can see, in person, our long term options rather than booking something sight unseen. We are expecting that wherever we chose to go there will be many good options. We are also thinking we might get a better rate by doing this. We will be looking either beach access and view or very short.easy beach access. Does anyone have any thoughts on this strategy? Are we naive? What are chances anything decent will already be booked?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

hola (i answered this question on the roatan forum as well), there's no way you'll want to stay a month in manta, you'll regret it. you should consider puerto lopez or montanita (both are a couple of hours drive/bus south) but not manta.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
462 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Would it be possible to know the reason to not choose Manta? We are looking to take a trip along the coast and are picking places to stay along the way. We are in our 50's, looking for a little activitiy and nice beaches. Possibly future residence. So I just wanted to hear if you thought manta was boring, unsafe, too primitive, whatever. Thanks.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

i just think its the least attractive place on that coast. lots of expats (mostly u.s. ex-forces with local spouses/children) etc. but just not as pretty as the coast north and (especially) south. i'd recommend renting a car and taking a slow leisurely drive south along the coast, within 2.5 hrs you'll see dozens of pretty little fishing towns and literally a dozen micro-climates (everything from desert to lush bamboo forests), national parks and empty beaches. i'm a conservationist and to me manta is just an industrial fishing port that sends factory ships out to decimate the last of the remaining pacific tuna schools, poachers head out to illegally fin sharks in the galapagos and where retired u.s. navy men hang out in sad bordello's. its the least appealing place on four or five hundred miles of beautiful ecuadorian coast line.

Edited: 4:21 pm, October 01, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
462 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Thanks divenuts, you really helped me a lot. i am in my early stages of research and eliminating any place is as good as a positive find.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Pentiumi,

I'm an Ecuadorian, and had live over 34 years in this country. My advice would be:

You should see the whole country and not only the coast. Ecuador is a land of volcanoes, jungles and seas.

Most attractive beaches in Ecuador are from north to south:

Esmeraldas province; Tonsupa beach, lately lot of real state developing has take place in here, lot of people from Quito has condos in this area. Same: this town has a great mediterrenean style vacation homes complex called "Casa Blanca". Lot of people from Quito rent their homes in there. Mompiche beach, where yóu find the new Decameron Resort (brand new), there is also here the Mompiche isolated beach with bungallow style hostels. Further south you find Pedernales, then Canoa, where lately lots of expats are buying land and homes, then you find Bahia de Caraquez, a place where lot of expats are also buying land and property. At the main bay here you'll see a marina where some expats live in their yachts.

Further south you find San Clemente, here we have a nice gated community for expats been build by some foreign & local business people. South from here you'll see Crucita town where handgliding and paragliding takes place as well as lot of new housing areas for expats are been build.

South from here you find Manta, another town where expats and locals are gatering. Manta has a nice seafront and a few nice 5 and 4 star hotels. Since late 1990's, Manta is been experiencing a great developing due to the rich industrial and domestic fishing and the presence of the US Air Force base which brought fame and business to this town.

After this you'll find San Mateo and Pacoche. At Pacoche the landscape change dramatically from the dry tropical forest into rainforest. A few lodges are based right here, this places offer some variety of wildlife sightseeing which includes mammals such as new world monkeys, snakes like boa constrictor and tons of several species of birds.

Further south you find Puerto Cayo, where some small hotels offer good lodging and great "cobachas" (beach restaurants with bungallow style) where you'll find some of the best Ecuadorian sea food -with great prices-.

Going down you'll find Puerto Lopez, a fishing town which has some interesting local domestic fish slaughtery, probabbly the largest in the country. Here, every day hammerheads and other sharks as well as manta rays are caught by the locals in terms to be sold to fish flour factories and to be exported to Asian countries to make fin soup.

Main attractions here are Isla de la Plata where you can see Galapagos birds like finches, waved albatross, blue and red footed boobies plus Frigate birds.

Isla de la Plata, Salango island, and El Ahorcado islet are good places for diving. The Mantaray & whale shark season takes place here in between Sep-Nov.

South from here you'll see Puerto Rico which has an isolated beach where there are no noises and where some nice small hotels like "La Barquita" offer great lodging. After this, continuing along the road you find Ayampe, where great tropical rainforest wildlife can be seen as well. Here you find Atamari lodge (nice).

The next place after this is "La Entrada" from where you can drive right trough the beach in the morning time (9 30- 12:30). From this town all the way till Olon, you will see nice big waterfront houses for sale.

After this you will encounter Montanita, -the hippies paradise- where there is a lively/funky environment that includes surfing, fire jugglers at night and lots of parties. The nicest place to stay here is the Baja Montanita Hotel. Food from all over the world is available there.

The next recommended place would be Ayangue where the beach has turqoise color water and very calm waters. South from here you find "playa rosada", a pristine beach where the sand has pink color. The next place is La Libertad and Salinas.

Lot of development is taking place around here in the last years and some expats from the US are living there now. Salinas is a nice concret town and is the vacation place of people from Guayaquil and Cuenca. After this you find Punta Carnero, the home town of the bravest surfers in Ecuador, the waves here can reach 15 feet tall, no kidding.

After this you have to drive to Guayaquil and then continue south to Machala, where you find Puerto Bolivar, the most southern beach of our country.

If have questions, please ask.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
462 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Dennis,

You are amazing. I can't thank you enough for such a great summary.

I actually had some business in Quito several years ago so I was able to see a few things in that area. The culture, the food, and the values are what have led me to genuinely pursue a more permanent residence in Ecuador.

It is obvious you have a great love for Ecuador and we are all very fortunate with how much time you are willing to give to share you insight.

I am trying to get my research of tripadvisor done before I start asking any significant questions so I won't just be repeating all of the previous questions.

I am in the process now of mapping out a coastal trip, where to land, heading for the north or south coast, and then proceeding to the other end of your list, and get back to the airport. I would say the chances are good that I will leave with a deposit on some property.

If I may, I would like to get another of your opinions. I am wondering how the locals and other ecuadorian tourists feel about the expat communities and the expats in them. Thanks again.

Indio, California
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

We are thinking about retiring in Bahia, Ecuador & want long term or permanent rental. Could you comment on this idea?

Guayaquil
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Hi

I live in Guayaquil. I can tell you that generally Ecuadorians have a positive view towards foreigners, in fact that is one of the better things about living here for ex-pats. People remain seemingly stunned and gratified that we should grace their land with our presence. Even now I squirm uncomfortably thinking how the reciprocal treatment in England would be.

However you make a good point - at least suggest one about the influence of expat communities. A good place to ask would be at El matal near Jama - there is a little community on the beach, basically prime real estate in the middle of nowhere and most of the people who have bought land are Americans. As mentioned, San Clemente too has such developments.

One of the issues to consider if you look at plots in villages that haven't already been developed is communal lands and the community - from what I understand you're always going to have to pay something into the community to keep people happy and you need to be very careful what and from who you are buying. This is one reason why many opt for a gated community.

For what it's worth I'd find Bahia to be a bit small and boring to live but the nearby beaches and natural attractions are nice and it is clean and organised. I've only passed through (many times) and maybe there is a cultural or community scene I've missed. I just mean that you look at a map and think it's a fair size but it really is very small.

I've never stayed too long in Manta either. Some Ecuadorians like visiting but I can't see the attraction - the town centre is messy and the beach, well it's just an urban beach. We're not talking about Copacabana. I noted a lot of gated communities on the outskirts last time so there is obviously money but not much sign of it bringing beautification or tranquility yet. However there are better services than anywhere else in the area.

I wrote a description on my site along those lines but after reading divenuts' comment I think maybe I held back a bit ! I do agree that there are nicer places to stay for a few months if you aren't working and have the choice.

Good luck

Graham

www.travelandliveinecuador.com/manta.html

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

Pentiumii,

Sorry not to answer your question months ago. Thank you so much for your kind words about my contribution to Trip Advisor, actually Manta is one of the fastest growing cities/harbours in Ecuador.

Manta is by now the 4th largest city in Ecuador and definetely one of the most important ones in terms of the economy. If you are planning to retire here and set up a business or anything, may be Manta will suit you. There are lots of activities and businesses to do there. Manta hotels have great service and food, MAnta roads are nice and it is located not far from big eco atractionslike Isla de la Plata. People are fine with expats from the US there, people are used to Americans since 1998 when our democratic government back in that time, signed up a contract with the US to have a US Air Force base which fought the drugs traffic in the South Pacific region. This base brought a big economy push and since then Manta became a decent city.

Totally true the statement about Manta been the base of the bigest Tuna industrial fishing fleets in Ecuador, same applies to the shark finnining. Unfortunatey shark finning is legal in Ecuador thanks to our comunist government who allows fishermen to hunt and extract sharks, mantas and every endangered species with no mercy in exchange of votes.

Manta has welcome Americans since 1997, and lot of things and love stories tide Americans and Ecuadorians there. The other beach towns and fishermen villages are nice for one weekend, unless you are a hippie.

Puerto Lopez isn't a place to live acorddingy to western comodities. No sewer system in there as well as it is the largest shark domestic slaughtery from our country. All kinds of sharks, mantas, mantarays and more fish are been hunted daily in there. Puerto Lopez seas have not much sea life to offer as a shame due to this reason. Local's lack of education and care about their ecosystem is a problem there too. Also in the local restaurants they sell shark as "corvina" (sea bass). This makes me so Sad....

-posted from Cuzco, the capital of the Inca empire-

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 10:34 pm, January 27, 2012
Sapphire, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strategy for Monthly Rental

I think I have learned more from this forum than any others yet. My wife and I plan to move there as soon as my workers comp. lawsuit is settled. We both now live on a very small S.S. disability pension, and it doesn't afford for much. This is the main reason for us choosing to live in Ecuador. The cost of living would allow us to live at least comfortably. We both want to live on the beach, or at least within walking distance. Nothing like Manta, but more of a laid back fishing village where all the locals know each other, and can stop in for a beer after work. We are both in our late 50's, so we aren't ready to lay down just yet (still alot of party in this old man) One question I need answered is the regulations concerning bringing our dog with us. We will fly in, so we will need to know what are the rules concerning flying in with our dog(imunizations, fees, any info about bringing our dog with us will be greatly appreciated)

Get answers to your questions about Manta