We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Manta?

Antigonish
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Manta?

We, too, will have one day in Manta from a cruise ship, in March, and I have read the old posts suggesting going to Montecristi. The ship's tours seem to be very expensive, expecially since they are only offering transportation by Chivas (?) for $149 a person, and the rest of the time you are on your own. Would it be easy for us to find transportation to Montecristi on our own, either by bus or taxi, and what should we expect to pay? Can you still use US dollars, or do we need local currency? Also, is it safe to walk around Manta on our own during the day? I should point out that we do not speak Spanish, and are seniors.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Manta?

Ecuador has been using the USD for years now so not a problem, a cab ride to montecristi is $5 or $6 (about 20 minutes) settle on the price before hand, probably the best place to visit on a day to Manta, brush up on your basic spanish as there is not much english around and locals appreciate when you at least try.. a good restaurant in Manta is the ''el resero'' probably the best steak for miles around, or the ''mediteraneo' on flavio reyes for great daily specials at $3

there are many hat stores in montecristi but i could recommend ''manufactura de sombreros de paja toquilla'' just ask around for Pablo Franco's store, he is a very nice man and hats start at $15, he also accepts credit cards, i could also recommend ''Mila's'' she is from Otovalo and has lots of great stuff at great prices, her store is in front of Pablo's on calle 9 de julio

i have an appartment in Manta in know the town so PM me if you need more info

2. Re: What to do in Manta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:55 am, October 14, 2010
Antigonish
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Manta?

Thanks very much for the very helpful information and suggestions. We will indeed take a taxi to Montecristi. I'll try to brush up on my very limited Spanish before we leave. We are more interested in walking around and taking in the atmosphere of the area, rather than shopping, though we will look at hats, and perhaps have lunch as well. Thanks again,

Betty

4. Re: What to do in Manta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2010