We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas

blissygirl
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas

Finishing a tour in Lima end of August 2013 and have 4/5 days up our sleeve before attending a wedding in São Paulo. Was thinking the Patagonia region but it will be too cold then I think. We are a couple late 50's, active but really don't want to trek or anything. Also thought Galapagos?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas

Dear BG,

Galapagos is a wonderful place to go - but 4/5 days from Lima is cutting it very short. If you can find at least 6-7, ideally 9 days, then you could get a good return for your efforts at getting there. I suspect you'll have to overnight in Ecuador when flying in from Lima, before heading to Galapagos.

If you're gong to Brazil, why not consider a Pantanal visit? This huge wetland/jungle provides a much richer wildlife viewing opportunity than the Amazon, and is more or less on your way.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas

Ohhhh, the Pantanal is a great idea! It's definitely on a par with Galapagos; see my review of Araras Lodge for an idea of what it's like (looks like it's on about page 10 of the reviews).

blissygirl
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas

Wow people thanks so much!

blissygirl
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas

Unfortunately the place you recommended is fully booked already for the dates we need. :-(

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas

Aw, too bad. There was another lodge we had looked at originally and were excited about it, but they were more rigid in their start dates. Check the TA reviews and see if there's another lodge that looks good to you.

P.S. If you read my review of Araras, read the hilarious one posted just after mine (it will be the one before mine on that page). The images it evokes of frogs and lizards and bats lined up waiting to get in their room cracks me up every time.

blissygirl
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas

yes, I will read it. Sounds funny. Will do more research but the Pantanal sounds like it will fill in our 5 days beautifully. We are from Australia, so the thought of seeing Jaguars is totally amazing. Thanks for your help.

blissygirl
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any ideas

Heather, any know any good places to stay in the Pantanal? The Araras Ecolodges is fully booked for our dates!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any ideas

Sorry BG - I'm not a Pantanal expert... my husband was there and educated me about its wonders. Good luck!

Heather

9. Re: Any ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2014