We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel distance to town area

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel distance to town area

We are looking at staying at Red Mangrove or Hotel Silberstein in Puerto Ayora for 3 nights in April. My husband will be gone each day diving and I will be left to do my own thing. How far are these hotels from the main city centre / shopping area.

Would you suggest these are the best places to stay or can you recommend somewhere else?

Jen

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel distance to town area

These two.hotels are good.

After 14 years of travel trough Ecuador I think the best one in town is the Finch Bay. They have the highest standards of service in town.

As you migh know already around Pto. Ayora you can see:

Las grietas

Tortuga Bay beach

Rancho.Primicias with Geochelone tortoises and lava tunnels

Twin craters

Charles Darwin Station

Down town shopping

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 7:50 pm, January 13, 2011
Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Thanks.

We looked at Finch Bay. Only disadvantage there was the taxi/ferry to the island. When I am by myself I like to just get up and go when I feel like it and head back to the room when done in town & not wait for public transport.

What is the distance from the hotels to town?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel distance to town area

You are welcome.

Finch Bay is 20 min from Dowtown.

Red Mangroove and Silberstein are 10 min walking distance from Downtown.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Dear Jenni,

you should note that Puerto Ayora is not much of a "city" and "downtown" really consists of a long stretch of road along which are strewn restaurants, shops, mostly mom& pop type places. Silberstein and Red Mangrove are almost next to each other (e.g. 200 m) and on that strip. The RM is at the end of the strip (on the way to the Charles Darwin Research station). You don't have to worry about being isolated at all - everything is walking distance, and taxis are very cheap (e.g. $1 last I heard, for any ride in town).

You might try the Galapagos suites as an alternative - that's my favourite.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Hi Jenni,

Both of those hotels are on the main street, and you´ll have access to all of the exciting things to do in town, as well as outside of town.

The Silberstein has a little pool, but the Red mangrove is right along the shore.

You could also try hotel Sol Y Mar...it has both a pool and access to the sea for swimming. The Galapagos wildlife comes right up to their waterfront area, which is so amazing to see! Suntanning with sea lions!

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Thanks Dennis,

The prices quoted by Red Mangrove Aventura are USD 344.oo per night.

Too expensive dont you think?

Jen

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Thanks Heather, You are alway so helpful......

I am a little discouraged as Red Mangrove Aventura are quoting us USD344.oo per night (bfast incl)

I think this is a little expensive.

Will look at Galapagos suites as you recommend

Regards

Jen

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Hey Heather,

Why is the Galapagos Suites your favourite place to stay????

Jen

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Jenni,

The Red Mangrove is one of few real eco hotels in Santa Cruz. Probabbly is worth its price.

I stick anyway to the Finch Bay. Their staff is really professional, and when staying there they really make you feel like an important client; this is something really hard to find in the Archipelago due to the lack of hospitality schools.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel distance to town area

Thanks Dennis!

I made a mistake - meant the room rate was USD 444.oo per night. Understand what you mean re hospitality service........ we live in Fiji - same sort of thing BUT quite honestly, I dont want to pay this amount when we are only sleeping there and out diving all day long........

Regards

Jen