We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with last minute itinerary

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Help with last minute itinerary

This is a do it your selfer:

Fly in to Balta: Stay on Santa Cruz somewhere (arriving in the morning) How long to get park pass and ferry to either North Seymour Island or Santa Cruz and how much. Do we want to do North Seymour Island right away? Really don't know what to do?

Day 1 & 2 Explore Santa Cruz

Day 3: Excursion to Kicker Rock or Los Tuneles from Santa Cruz Island? From Puerto Ayora?

Day 4: Another Excursion? or stay on Sana Cruz

Day 5: Leave Early from Balta. How early to the ferries operate?

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

of your suggested trips, I think only N Seymour is available from Santa Cruz - Los Tuneles is a daytrip from Isabella and Kicker Rock is from San Cristobal. With 5 days you could just about fit in one or other, but not both. Arrival and departure take up most of 2 days so you really only have 3 days on the islands

If you want to do Los Tuneles (which is amazing!) I'd suggest

Day 1 - arrive Baltra, bus transfer to Santa Cruz, pm Charles Darwiin RS or Tortuga Bay

Day 2 - ferry to Isabella (about 0700, $30), pm Wall of Tears

Day 3 - Los Tuneles

Day 4 - ferry to Santa Cruz, pm Las Grietas or Island Tour

Day 5 - transfer to Baltra ($30 taxi), depart Baltra

alternative is 5 days on Santa Cruz and daytrips out

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

Still looks like a nice trip. Which of those will I need a guide for?

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

Los Tuneles is a boat trip with a guide, All of the rest you can do yourself, but you need to get a taxi for the Santa Cruz island tour (about $50) to see Tortoise Reserve, Craters and Lava tunnels

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

If I had an extra day for a day trip what would be a good recommendation?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

If you're asking about day trips to uninhabited islands from Santa Cruz, they don't all necessarily run every day, so you might be limited in your options just by what day you have free. I think a day trip either to Bartolomé (you might get lucky and run into a small group of Galápagos Penguins that move between Sombrero Chino and Bartolomé) or to N.. Seymour (meandering through sea bird breeding colonies) would be my first choice, if either one were available. If you're traveling during the high season (July & Aug. or the December holidays), these popular trips can fill up quickly--so again, they might not be available. You might see if Moonrise Travel in Puerto Ayora can help with the details (http://www.galapagosmoonrise.com/ ).

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Edited: 10:35 am, April 10, 2015
Glenside...
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

The other day trip from Santa Cruz would be to go to Santa Fe island where there is a sea lion colony on a beautiful little bay. You go to the shore to see moms and babys and others on the beach, where you will also see land iguanas. Then (my favorite part of our trip) snorkel with the juvenile sea lions out by the rocks in the bay.

7. Re: Help with last minute itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 28, 2018