We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

be careful about food?

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
be careful about food?

I will be in Quito and the galapagos..just wondering if anyone has ever had a bad experience with food (like in mexico) or is everything okay to eat (i know not to eat at the road side stands in quito)..and as far as water...do i not get ice in drinks??

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: be careful about food?

I spent 6 weeks in Ecaudor and had slight issues but nothing like I have had in Mexico a few times!

I actually ate at many roadside stands and ate the food that vendors brought on to the buses, too.

Didn't drink the water but after a month in Peru and then 6 weeks in Ecuador I started brushing my teeth with the water.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: be careful about food?

I would use the same precautions that you'd use in Mexico. If you are in a high-quality hotel then ice and salads are probably ok--and they are fine on the boats, as of course they are catering to tourists. But otherwise, I'd avoid non-cooked vegetables, fruits you can't peel, salads and of course, tap water or ice. I did get horribly ill with food poisoning on my first trip to Ecuador even though I was quite careful. Use the same common sense you'd use in Mexico and you should be fine.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: be careful about food?

Have been here since August, eating quite well and freely, without any problems. If you're sticking to popular Quito restaurants you'll be fine. I eat salads and uncooked produce with impunity. Ice is not common here, and unless you're in a very small comedor it will be made from purified water if there's any at all. Quiteños don't drink the water here, either! You can brush your teeth with the tap water. Don't be afraid to try street food especially if it's being cooked right there. You wouldn't want to miss fresh, hot empanadas or humitas!

sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: be careful about food?

well crap, food poisoning? be careful like i would in mexico? guess i will pack special K granola bars and lance crackers in my suitcase... i'm just so scared of diarrhea or vomiting ruining my amazing ecuador/galapagos trip..guess i should just go ahead and pack tums, pepto, and immodium A.D. to be on the safe side

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: be careful about food?

In Galapagos, the tap water is not drinkable as it is brackish. All the bottled water is desalinated locally and for residents and hotels it is delivered in large returnable bottles. I have never had any problems with it. Ships will have their own desalination plants. Ice will be made from the same water so there's no point avoiding it.

Food is also of good quality - just watch sell by dates if you are buying from shops. The only trouble I had in a 4 week tour was one day which I put down to an unrefrigerated bacon roll. I have also eaten from street sellers.

If you are going on a boat, take various medicines with you. In the main town of Puerto Ayora, there are many chemists but you may not be able to get your favourite brand or exotics. Check the strengths too as I was given Ibuprofen at about 4 times the strength I am used to. They also split boxes and sell them without the instructions.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: be careful about food?

Constant, if I were you, I'd be a LOT more afraid eating in the U.S. than in Ecuador! There have been three major food recalls and several deaths there in the last few months. Here, nothing of the sort.

A little diarrhea is nothing to be afraid of. I even get it visiting from one U.S. city to another. It's pretty normal, as our bodies adjust to new microbes. The odds of you getting the gut-wrenching kind are pretty low. No one I know in my cadre of colleagues who have been here since August have gotten sick like that.

There's lots of yogurt for sale here. Yogurt is really good for keeping your gut healthy with "good" bacteria. It doesn't sound like you're going anywhere particularly off the beaten track, so relax, eat, drink, be merry, and have a great time.

Ecuador
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: be careful about food?

I packed pepto bismal caplets in my bag when I first arrived in Ecuador, and after 2 and a half years of working there, I never opened them.

All the ice everywhere in Ecuador is made from purified water, so don't worry. You can brush your teeth in the hotel tap water, not an issue, but all the hotels and rooms have bottled drinking water.

Don't worry about juices or fresh fruits at breakfast. And as long as everything is well cooked, you should be just fine.

I've been to Mexico and had sick friends there too, and Ecuador is way way cleaner!

ps. don't forget to try one of the great sushi bars in Quito. They make a great langosta roll (lobster)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: be careful about food?

As I said, you are surely fine on the boats and in most hotels and restaurants that cater to tourists...I wouldn't worry about fruit or salads there...but it is always wise to take common-sense precautions. I certainly would not count on ALL ice everywhere in Ecuador being made from purified water. Its up to you, but why take the chance on your vacation? I can tell you for a fact that I spent the night on the floor of the bathroom at Hacienda Cienega on my first trip to Ecuador...what I ate or drank that caused it I couldn't say; we'd eaten lunch at the Magic Bean in Quito and dinner at Cienega; no one else in my party got sick...but I was sure glad I'd packed Immodium and pepto bismal. On my 2nd trip, no problems at all. It only takes one bad shrimp, or whatever...

And yes it can happen in the USA too, of course, but there it is not likely to ruin your long-planned and expensive vacation. Don't be paranoid, just use common sense and be careful!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: be careful about food?

When I was in Ecuador, I frequented some larger restaurants and some small "mom-and-pop" establishments. I had little trouble with food.

Drink bottled water, it's readily available.

10. Re: be careful about food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 21, 2009