We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

Quito
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

Clearing up some hotel names for people visiting Galapagos, so you get what you are looking for:

- Casa Iguana is located in Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos.

- Galapagos Sol y Mar, is located in Santa Cruz, Galapagos.

- Casa Iguana Mar y Sol, located in San Cristobal, Galapagos.

The first two are high end beach front accommodation services in Galapagos, while Casa Iguana Sol y Mar is not a beach front, but a 5 rooms bed and breakfast.

Travelers thinking on visiting San Cristobal looking for a beach front should consider Hotel Orca, which main door steps into a cristal clear ocean.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

Thanks Stebansa for this clarification!

My husband and/or I have stayed at the Orca a couple of times over the years, the last time about 5 years ago. Unless they've seriously revamped it, I thought it was good for demolition.. The only endearing aspect was the sea lions lounging around on the front step. Hot water? In your dreams. Functional screens on windows to keep the mosies out? Maybe next year.... Doors locked with a padlock... And that grandma at the "front" desk - seems she had been getting up on the wrong side of bed for decades. Is she still there?

If things have changed, please let us know. I'm always on the lookout for alternatives in S. Cristobal. More competition has emerged in the hotel sector there - and I am surprised to learn that the Orca is getting recommendations.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

We just returned from San Cristobal and didn't notice Hotel Orca. We did see Casa Iguana May Y Sol and were surprised that it was built right in front of Casa de Nelly--effectively blocking their view of the bay. Seemed like a rather competitive thing to do. Casa de Nelly, while not having the water view, is reasonably priced. Also, check out Casa de Laura......not beachfront, but on the edge of town, clean, beautiful setting, friendly international guests and easy walk to Malecon. San Cristobal is such an easy place to enjoy at reasonable prices......

Galapagos
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

Casa de Nelly is economically priced, and its top floor has a good view of the harbor. You will have noted that 3/4 of the top floor of Casa Iguana Mar y Sol has been kept open, so as NOT to block the view from Casa de Nelly. They are both private homes, which later changed into bed and breakfast type properties.

Galapagos
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

The Hotel Orca is in the process of major renovations....after being shut down for many years. I wish them good luck on their major project.

Galapagos
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

San Cristobal's Casa Iguana Mar y Sol is 100 meters from the edge of the water. Correct.

6. Re: Beware Casa Iguana Sol y Mar & Casa Iguana / Mar y Sol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014