We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
648 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

Hello. I have been enjoying reading all the wonderful forum posts about Galapagos. I am planning a trip for summer 2012 and working with Heather on ship and itinerary, but I have a question I wonder if anyone knows the answer to. The Eclipse has lovely detailed brochures that talk in detail about each island stop and what one is likely to see there. They have an itinerary stop at Punta Pitt on San Cristobel and they say one may see red-footed boobies there, though they say you must look carefully as they prefer to nest in areas of thick brush. From prior reading, I'd thought the only place red-footed boobies could be seen was on Genovesa. Which is correct? If one can see them on San Cristobel, I'd feel less bad about an itinerary that doesn't include Genovesa. My main interest isn't birds, but I would enjoy seeing both the blue and red-footed boobies. However, I'd really like to go to Espanola, and most itineraries don't include both Espanola and Genovesa. Thanks.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

I LOVE this forum! I'm always learning! In response to your question, I did a search of the NPG Web site. You are right--they report a small group of breeding Red-footed Boobies on Punta Pitt. Apparently, this group has been severely affected by two different El Niño events and they are recovering slowly. (Here's the Web page I found: http://www.galapagospark.org/nophprg.php?page=parque_nacional_nativas_endemicas_piqueros_patas_rojas.) So it looks like Punta Pitt is a 2nd spot that you have a chance to see all 3 species of nesting boobies--although it does sound as if they are considerably harder to spot than on Genovesa.

How very cool to know this. Thanks for questioning the "common wisdom"--which sometimes is neither!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/ (soon to be amended!)

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

Thanks for that, Tina! I was trying to google it while waiting to see if anyone would reply, and I found this galapagosonline.com/Galapagos_Natural_Histor… which is less detailed than what you found, but indicates "Colonies can be found on Tower, Culpepper, Wenman,Gardener-near-Floreana, Punta and Isla Pitt. They are rarely seen in areas other than where they breed. Eggs can be found throughout the year with colonies hatching at the same times."

This whole itinerary decision-making thing is for the birds, ha ha! So hard cause I don't want to miss anything!

Edited: 9:45 pm, September 07, 2011
Ecuador
Level Contributor
239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

I have been on Punta Pitt and I did see Red Footed boobies. I also saw lots of goats... having said this, it was 10 years ago. From what I heard many things have changed for Punta Pitt, there are none or less goats (been erradicated) and the red footed booby colony has been found on the outer Islet, some still nest at Punta Pitt.

What this means is that, you are not guaranteed to see them, but, you are highly likely to see them a Punta Pitt.

There are a couple of itineraries that include both Española and Genovesa, one of the boats that has both is the Galapagos Journey, of course you have to take one of the 8 day options.

In any case each Island has its own magic, I have travelled to all of them and never been dissapointed.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

Cool, thanks for the reply, Galapago!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

The cheapest way to see red footed boobies is going to Isla de la Plata in Manabi province. For usd 50 you take a tour to this island and see also frigate birds, Nazca boobies, blue footed boobies and more.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Galapagos
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

Punta Pitt is currently CLOSED to passenger landings.

Sincerely, Patricia

LA
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

genovesa is really worth going. in june, you will also see a large number of courting frigate birds --- big red balloons blowing.

guantemara has a great itinerary including both espinola and genovesa (you would only be missing the western big islands, which i guess should be saved for a future trip), a fine boat with decent food. though not the luxury type and the room is smaller...

8. Re: Red-footed boobies at Punta Pitt, San Cristobel Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, June 19, 2013