We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

We have limited time. Hey, it's what we have. We will arrive early Tuesday on Baltra and leave early on Saturday. We will have most of Tuesday, all day Wed., Thur. and Fri. and will have to be back on Baltra to leave around 10:00 a.m.

We thought about staying on Isabella for a couple of nights (Tues, and Wed and coming back on Thurs) What are the possibilities for that and what activities would you suggest?

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

We were on Isabella last year and loved it - really nice chilled and laid back atmosphere with great beaches and snorkelling. Time is tight, but like you say, that's what you've got! I'd suggest:

Tuesday : arrive Baltra, transfer to Santa Cruz, pm Tortuga Bay, las Grietas or Charles D RS (all free)

Wed : early morning ferry to Isabella ($30), pm hire bike and ride to Wall of Tears ($10)

Thu : day trip to Los Tunneles ($70) - great snorkelling with rays, sharks and sealions, booby birds and penguins

Fri : early morning ferry back to sSanta Cruz ($30), pm what you didn't do on Tues, or maybe island tour in taxi to craters, tortoise reserve and lava tunnels ($60 for the car)

Sat : depart for home

Hoe that helps

dave L

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

Thanks, that looks doable and about what I was hoping for. My daughter hasn't ridden a bike for a while. What is the bike trail like?

For accommodations, would it best to make reservations ahead of time? I'm guessing we want to stay in Puerto Ayora on Tuesday and Friday and Puerto Villamil on Wed and Thursday.

Also, should/can we book a daytrip in advance to Los Tuneles.? Finally, for the snorkeling trip, will we need a wetsuit towards the end of June?

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

Bike trail is absolutely fine - nice and smooth, just a couple of sandy bits as it passes some beaches and a couple of small hills (100m) which you can walk. most of all, its a stunning ride with about 10 marked stopping off points at deserted beaches, lagoons, viewpoints etc

We booked accom in advance, but i doubt you would have any problems finding something when you arrive - your choice really ! and yes PA on mon and thu, PV on tue and wed

No problem booking Los Tuneles when you get there, and i'd definitely recomend wetsuits - your hotel will rent you one for a few dollars a day

any other questions please shout

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

It’s a great idea to incorporate a stay in Isabela into your plans, but with limited time to spend I’m wondering if you really want take two speedboat trips in that brief period. The boats take about 2 ½ hours, and many find them uncomfortable and seasickness inducing (see thread “Alternative to Speedboats between Santa Cruz and Isabela"). You might not be up for a bike ride when you arrive. After reading comments here about the speedboats we decided to take the air taxi (Emetebe), which takes ½ hour, with reportedly beautiful views. (There are also many comments about Emetebe in this forum, especially about reliability, but most of the complaints date to before the change in ownership.)

You might consider flying to Isabela after your early morning arrival on Baltra. You could hire a taxi to take you to the Highlands (closer to the airport than Puerto Ayora), see tortoises in the wild, lava tunnels etc, and return to the airport for the early afternoon flight to Isabela. And you’d still have time after you arrive on Isabela to plan your activities for the next two days.

The speedboat might make more sense on the return to Santa Cruz because you arrive closer to the Puerto Ayora sites of interest (La Tortuga beach, Charles Darwin Research Center.)

The air taxi costs about $100 more per person each way, so only you can decide if the expense is worth it. We decided it was.

Hoping some more experienced Galapagos travelers will chime in…

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

We changed our plans a bit. We arrive in Balls and stay in Puerto Ayala that night. Take a SPED boat to Puerto Villamil in the a.m.and take the Tuneles your at 11:30. (that has been arranged) We stay there for two nights so the next day we need advice. We will go back to Porto Ayala early and will have a day. I think I just need help for the extra day now on Isabella.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

Dear G,

this will be a tiring trip. Tuneles is a good idea- after all, you're not going all the way to Galapagos to ride bikes - you can do that anywhere. You want to see what this place is so famous for - wildlife, animals, close up. The underwater experience is absolutely fantastic, and Tuneles is a great place for that. But if the seas are choppy - some call the speedboat ride quite bone rattling - to get off in Villamil, only to transfer again into a smaller skiff for another 30 minutes or so of bouncing on the waves .... be prepared mentally.

For another free day in Villamil, you can consider a trip to the top of Sierra Negra - not a good idea if the weather is cloudy though - you'll just be walking in the fog - you might play it by hear. Biking to the wall of tears (or better yet, walking - you don't see much biking), is "OK", you might see a giant tortoise, but this time of year, they tend to move to the higher elevations. Otherwise, it's just a nice bike ride along the coast to a large stone wall. You should ask around in town after your Tuneles trip, for ideas, plenty of people will have ideas for you.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

Hi Dave, I thought the ferry across to Isabella was 2pm and back at 6am? We were thinking of staying on Isabella for four nights taking in that we will arrive fairly late if we leave Santa Cruz at 2pm. I have checked and only see a 2pm ferry.

Dot

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

We traveled June. We took the 6:00a.m boat from Isabella. We reserved it from our hotel. You'll have plenty of time when your there tomake your dreservation.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

there was certainly a morning ferry in both directions when we were there last August, and also shown on the timetable at http://www.horariodeferry.com/ec/

10. Re: Arriving on a Tuesday and leaving that Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 01, 2016