We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

emetebe airlines to isabela

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
emetebe airlines to isabela

I have read on Trip Advisor and other sites how, in the past, unreliable Emetebe airlines is from Baltra to Isabela and back, but haven't read anything recently. Has it gotten better? I also read that by next year there will be another airline flying this route. Has anyone else hear this or have more information?

91 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

Whom exactly did you book the flight with? There is an unscrupulous travel agent posing as Emetebe (see the previous posts).

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

GalapagosOptions.com is who we booked the flight with. This seems to be the only way to book with Emetebe Airlines (if you can call it an airline)

Jhoveralvarez is the name on the emails and the person who signs off is called Francisco. I currently have a paypal dispute with these people and am not pleased at their response.

Yes it would appear as if I am not alone and there are MANY unsatisfied customers. This also looks bad for the Galapagos Islands which is too bad.

All other transactions we had on the Galapagos were superb. It was a wonderful place to visit and the people there were very genuine and kind.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

So it's not Emetebe but the unscrupulous agent who apparently did not inform you properly and is not refunding your money. Take a look at #7, 9, 24, and 31. Emetebe staff have posted several times defending themselves against this rogue agent but one self-appointed forum cop keeps having it removed, though it's well within the TA guidelines for a business to clarify and defend itself.

This Alvarez guy has a Web site that is very close in name to Emetebe's which is the reason why the airline is always getting the blame (one is .com, the other is .net, but I forget which is whose). You might refer PayPal to this thread as evidence of his duplicity.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

I'm the one who started this thread. We also booked our flights through the travel agent had booked our cruise and had no problems.

OTOH, Galapagos airlines decided (at the last minute) to change the flight times of our flights from Quito to Baltra and back. Instead of leaving at decent hours and flying direct each way, we ended up having to leave Quito really early (around 6am), stop in Guyaquil both ways, cut short our Quito tour (instead of a 6 hour tour of the equator museum, monument and city.. we had a VERY short tour of just the museum). Nobody bothered to refund us the cost of the tour we couldn't take. And, they're supposed to be a "major airlines".

My point is that this kind of stuff unfortunately happens and my experience these days is that nobody, be it in the Galapagos or the US will do anything not to have to compensate you when *they* screw up. To anybody out there reading this and considering going to Isabella, Emetebe is a lovely little airline that transports you to an amazing but very remote part of the world. It may cost extra, but book your flight through a reputable travel agency with experience booking in the Galapagos. And since there is always a decent chance they have to change flight times or cancel due to weather, do not count on flying to Baltra on time to catch a flight.

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

To all emetebe customers,

PLEASE DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT WITH GALAPAGOSOPTIONS.

They are a rogue agency that will steal yourmoney.

A safer bet is to go on emetebe facebook page and they reply instantly to your queries or questions.

Enjoy the galapgos islands

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

there seems to be a real scam going on here. Galapagosoptions is THE representative of Emetebe airlines.

If you try and book a flight online with Emetebe you will ONLY find Galapagos options, the name Jhoveralvarez

and the name Francisco signing off. THESE are the ticket agents (and perhaps the airlines) and my ticket issued by GalapagosOptions was honored by Emetebe. The problem is with EMETEBE. They don't fly when they're supposed to, much of the time. The large number of unhappy dissatisfied customers who take the time to write in and complain clearly indicate there is a big problem with this airlines AND it's ticket agent.

My advice is to TAKE THE BOAT and save yourself $$ and lots of hassle.

Chicago
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

Emetebe Airlines website is emetebe.com.ec. Galapagosoptions hijacks emetebe.com . Yesterday, i spoke with both Saereo and Emetebe. I asked about San Cristobal to Isabela. they said that they don't fly it--call Emetebe. Emetebe said to book with them about 30 days before. This doesn't answer the question of whether they will fly, but at least part of the problem appears to be galapagosoptions.com.

By the way, the post about 2 posts ago is from Emetebe, I believe. Why they will respond to Facebook, but not regular e-mail, I don't know.

Can anyone update on the flight situation? If I have to take 2 boats from San Cristobal to Isabela, I'm going to skip one or the other.

Chicago
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

Immediately after posting the prior post, I received the following in response to my call to Emetebe yesterday"

The schedule of flights departing from Cristobal to Isabella is 8.30 am, the flight lasts 45 minutes.

The flight cost is $ 155, one way, per person.

For more information do not hesitate to contact me.

The e-mail was ventasemetebe@hotelcityplaza.com.ec in case you want to try that instead of the e-mail in the prior post.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

I just returned from a lovely trip to the galapagos. Spent a week on Isabella and it was wonderful. The only bad experience we had was choosing to fly Emetebe. Emetebe changed the flight time on our return and we were forced to take the boat to make our next flight to Quito. Emetebe does this routinely and does NOT reimburse the ticket holder when they decide (for any reason) not to fly.

Shameful.

I advise taking the boat.. it's not that bad.

Edited: 5:10 pm, March 14, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: emetebe airlines to isabela

Ah EMETEBE - they are an icon in Galapagos, just like the giant tortoises. I was just there last week, and took the time to drop by their llittle office at the Baltra airport. But when I got there, I could tell I would be wasting my time engaging them in a conversation. I was satisfied with a business card (and it took them a while to find one!).

You have to be prepared for "flexibility" when flying with them.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: emetebe airlines to isabela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted