We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants

Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants

My sister & I will be spending 2 weeks in Ecuador and staying one week in Cotacachi next month. I have read conflicting reports on water quality and what's safe to eat in both Cotacachi and Cuenca. The fruit & salad look fabulous but are they safe for us to eat?

3 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants

Water quality here depends on the area - I can say we spent 6 months in Cota, ate all the fruit & veggies we wanted, and never had a problem. The restaurants there are all careful of food quality, even the ones at the bus terminal (which, by the way, has some terrific food). I should add that most tourists experience some intestinal discomfort when they first arrive, due to new and different bacteria. If this happens in Cota, ask anybody where Sylvia's pharmacy is, and go immediately to see her - she's fabulous and knows exactly how to deal with tourist tummy.

Have a wonderful visit - Cota is a lovely little town.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants

And ditto the same answer for your question on the Cuenca forum. In my years living in Quito I ate whatever I wanted and never got sick. I'm sure you know there is a heavy ex-pat presence in both towns so any of their hangouts are going to be very safe.

Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants

Thanks so much. That's good to know. I am so looking forward to my visit.

Reply to: Safe to eat salad/fruit in any Cotacachi restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted