We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Cotacachi

Which Cotacachi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulahuén, Chile
4 posts
Save Topic
Cost of living in Cotacachi

My wife and I retired to the mountains in the north of Chile in 2007 where we bought an acre of land and built a stone house. In 2008 the banksters wiped out our saving, so we were left with S.S. When we arrived in Chile we were paid $ 711 pesos per dollar, last week we got $ 460 pesos per dollar. Chile is a VERY EXPENSIVE COUNTRY.

We have read all kinds of numbers in terms of what a couple w/o mayor expenses can live with. Can anyone living in Cotacachi give us an idea of what kind of a monthly budget are we looking at for two people with a paid for house and one car? Nothing fancy mind you.

Thank you, Michael

9 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Michael, this is a travel forum. You would do better by finding a forum for ex-pat living in Ecuador. Googling turned up quite a few.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Michael, for leaving in Cotacachi you will need a budget of usd 700 more less for what you are looking for.

Saludos,

Dennis Yepez

Tulahuén, Chile
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Thank you so much, appreciate your input, it is appreciated. Be well, M.

P.S. La buceadora has never heard the word empathy, it seems to me.

4. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:08 am, February 09, 2012

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Gringomiguel,

Chile is very expensive and probabbly the best country in South America to live due to its good economy and political stability. Real State market goes well there which doesn't not happens on Ecuador due to our political inestabilty and clueless government. I had live in Chile and Ecuador because I have Chilean and Ecuadorian citizenship and I can tell the dramatic diference.

Before buying property make sure you are paying real price for the property you are interested to buy. Live here first just in case, to really see if you like it here. I will suggest you to go with local realtors.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Tulahuén, Chile
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Thank you Dennis. Yes, Chile is a great country well on its way to first world status, BUT, right now it is as expensive to live in as the US. Therefore when you are in a tight budget one has to sacrifice certain things in order to survive. As simple as that.

Be well,

M.

Tulahuén, Chile
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

Thank you for nothing. M.

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

check out

www.internationalliving.com

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living in Cotacachi

International Living frequently paints a rosier picture of a place than is justified. I learned that after buying a house in France in 2003. I was lucky enough to sell it before the French economy went into the toilet.

Reply to: Cost of living in Cotacachi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted