We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information about Dili and Baucau?

Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Information about Dili and Baucau?

My wife and I are visiting East Timor in a few weeks. We plan to visit Dili , Baucau, and Balibo. We'd be delighted to hear your good news/bad news stories.

Dili, East Timor
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information about Dili and Baucau?

Hi young4ever,

You have picked the perfect time to come here. We are approaching the end of the wet season so everything is nice and green. Although it still is the wet season, we haven't really been getting all that much rain, so traveling and seeing the sights won't be a drama. You can expect about 32 degrees during the day and about 25 overnight. The humidity is still quite high so you will probably sweat a bit, especially if you are coming from Hobart.

Make sure to visit the museum dedicated to the five journalists when you get to Balibo. It's in the house that the journo's painted the Aussie flag on, which most people will know from old news clips. It's only small but it is very interesting and If you can get hold of a translator (or if you happen to speak Tetum or Bahasa Indonesia) you may be lucky enough to talk to one of the town's older members to get their take on the events of 1975. I'm not familiar with any accommodation in Balibo so I can't make a recommendation.

Baucau is nice but I suggest that if you are going to travel all that way you might as well keep going to Com, Tutuala and Jaco Island, at the far eastern end of Timor Leste. It's very pretty, with beautiful white sandy beaches, especially Jaco Island. The Com Beach Resort (ph. +670 332 4227) is a reasonable place to stay.

Your profile says that you are into historical sights and museums so make sure to check out Christo Rei (the big Jesus statue) and the Santa Cruz cemetary when in Dili. There's also a big monument to the Pope a few miles west of town. Taxis will cost you about USD$3 for a trip across town but they will try to sting you $5 to go from the airport to your hotel. You can buy a 30 day tourist visa on arrival in Dili ($30 last time I checked) but make sure you have at least 6 months validity on your passport or you won't get in the country.

There's different standards of accommodation in Dili, from the upmarket Hotel Timor to the Dili Beach Hotel (www.dilibeachhotel.com/) or the Timor Lodge. See the Trip Advisor hotel rankings to make a choice.

Enjoy your trip!

Far North Qld
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Information about Dili and Baucau?

Young4ever, I hope you haven't already travelled to Dili and I'm writing this in vain. I just returned from Dili in January. I travelled to Baucau a year ago. Stayed at Pousada de Baucau. When there I made friends with a local girl that worked on reception. For US$40 we hired a microlet with a few local lads and went on a four hour tour to Xanana Gusmao's old fretilin haunts in near Mount Matabien, saw the Japanese tunnels from WWII, went to Venilale and the local lakes. It was absolutley amazing and a worthwhiel experience. The accommodation was a bit average and extremely overpriced (US$150 per night!) but the restaurant had good food. You could travel on to COm as well. I travelled to Bauca via local bus for US$4. That was a great experience I will never forget (sharing food with locals whilst surrounded by chickens and bags of rice). You can catch these from the bus terminal outside of Dili. I hope you have a just as a wonderful and rewarding experience as I did.

3. Re: Information about Dili and Baucau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:54 am, November 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Dili
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor