We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day visit from cruise ship

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Day visit from cruise ship

Hello,

We are visiting as a family of 4 from a cruise ship.

Will it be possible to get a driver to show us around for the day ?

A travel agent is quoting $140 Usd a day per person which seems very expensive.

We would like to see a few sights and go to the The Taste of Timor Cultural Festival in Largo de Lecidere, .

Thank you

2 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
299 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day visit from cruise ship

Outrageous. Are you all physically able to walk?

I'm not familiar with this festival, but are you meaning the Largo de Lecidere in Dili? According to google maps this is a 20 minute walk from the dock. The Tai market and Resistance museum are also just a few minutes walk away from that path.

Alternatively, these are short distances so I hope you could get a taxi for < $5. Negotiate - they will rip you off.

Mentioned in this post
Dili
Dili
Dili District, East Timor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day visit from cruise ship

I just returned from half day trip to Cristo Rei. Public transport in City - Mikrolet costs USD 0.25 (regardless of distance) each ride.

Took Mikrolet No. 10 (USD 0.25) from Fatuhada to Lita Mercado (not far from Largo de Lecidere), then changed No. 12 (USD 0.25 to Cristo Rei For the whole family of 4 would be easier USD 1 each ride.

I asked the local - the public transport starts at 7 pm and ends at 6 pm. I usually leave 2 hours earlier so I won't lose in dark. Its about 10-20 minutes climb stairs with my weak left knee (had surgery for torn ligament 8 years ago).

I took No. 12 back to city and told the driver that I wanted to go to the Cathedral. He stopped somewhere so I could take No. 10 to CATHEDRAL and walked 10 minutes to TAIS MARKET to buy souvenirs.

I don't take taxi because some told me that the taxi would stop to take other passengers.

I speak Bahasa Indonesia so its easy for me. But just mention the landmark - google maps is also working (i use local telkomcel). USD 25 for 5 GB - use one mobile phone for tethering so 3 other mobile phones can be used for google maps. take turn - so batteries won't low at same time.

Hope this helps. USD 29 for your trip (transport and data).

Mentioned in this post
Cristo Rei
Cristo Rei
436 Reviews
Dili, East Timor
Tais Market
Tais Market
186 Reviews
Dili, East Timor
Reply to: Day visit from cruise ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dili