We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday

Which Opatija hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hednesford
Level Contributor
185 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday

I am looking for somewhere to spend my birthday with my family. This will include 6 adults and 3 children 6,3 and 2. Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay in April and will most places be open.

Thank you

Carol

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday

Stay wherever you can afford it wherever you like it.Beware of photoshopped rooms and sugarcoated descriptions

.Eat out at Bevanda (Opatija port),Tramerka,Plavi Podrum (Volosko)...Little bit outside are Kukuriku (Kastav) Perun (Mošćenice)

Most places will be open.Opatija is not thriving at all but for some reason one of the rare seafront towns with invisible hibernation.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday

What are you looking for? What do you prefer, what are your interests? Would you like to be close to the sea or in the hills? Big 5* hotel or a private villa? How many days will you be staying?

The earliest I've been in Opatija was May (Labour Day). It was always nice weather and most of the city was "alive". I would walk the Lungomare path, from Volosko (a small and beautiful fishing village) all the way to downtown Opatija. But the only kid-like area I can think of, would be the central, concrete beach, by the main promenade. Can't say if the kid stuff will be open, however.

Anyway, if you like that area, I think hotel Admiral is very close. Think it's a 4*. Hotel Milenij is on the other end of the promenade (still very close, the best location), but it's a 5* and could be (quite) expensive. Then, there are many hotels towards Volosko and good selection of private accommodation in Volosko itself. Also, a well known fish restaurant Plavi podrum is in Volosko's small port/marina. And now, there's a new sports centre near Volosko, perhaps they will also have something for the kids. But if you want them to swim, the sea will be too cold, so you should look for a hotel with a swimming pool. Or take them to a public pool complex near Kantrida in Rijeka.

On the other hand, you might also want to stay close to the green market, for some fresh food, or near bigger supermarkets (there aren't many in Opatija, really). Still, for a really great fish market, you will have to go to Rijeka, just be there early.

Anyway, regarding Opatija, you should either be looking at Volosko (quiet, but perhaps a bit secluded, though close to that sports centre), or something from the green market to the promenade. Keep in mind Opatija sits at the bottom of Mt. Učka (1400 m), so some accommodation options could require you to walk up a lot.

Btw, you can see Opatija in my MTB Street view movie, it could give you an interesting perspective. It includes parts of Volosko, Opatija's main street, the green market area, the promenade and central beach area and even the Lungomare. And you can see many hotels' locations - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKdKyvQbQE.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday

What a wonderful and informative response! Love the street view movie... feel like I've been there already!!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday

Glad you liked it. If you're interested in the area (and, from USA even Italy and Serbia are the "area" :)), just browse my channel, there are many more movies available. And more coming every 7-14 days.

Hednesford
Level Contributor
185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday

I think we are going to need somewhere with a pool if the sea is going to be to cold to swim in. We came to Opatija some years ago and walked from one village to another along the coastal path. We liked Volosko. I remember a fish shop where we had fish and potato salad on small benches in a room round the corner and under the shop. It was the best meal of our trip.

Thank you for your help

Carol

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday

No worries as many hotels in Opatija do have indoor swimming pool. I like Volosko, too, especially when you start going through all the narrow passages with old stone houses. And you also see people having lunch right there in front of you (and their houses :)). You could/should look for a hotel closest to Volosko, having a swimming pool. Then walk along the Lungomare with kids, letting them have some fun on beaches like Tomaševac. You can see it in one of my movies, too (I think the Volosko one).

7. Re: Birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Opatija