We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Topic
Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Hello, I've heard so many great things about Lošinj and am trying to plan a short visit this summer. To enjoy and to film for my MTB Street view series: http://www.youtube.com/user/srdjanIcanic. The idea is to use ferry from Rijeka (just me and my bike), go around the area then move up north, through Cres and perhaps Krk. Maybe even pedal all the way back to Rijeka.

Questions:

1. There are many big and small islands around Lošinj, like Ilovik and some who don't have names in gEarth. :) Is there some kind of a boat taxi that could get me (and the bike) to these islands (at least some of them) and how much would it cost?

2. The ferry arrives late in the evening so I would probably need to spend 2 nights in Lošinj and then just 1 night in other places. I want the cheapest option, bed&toilette. :) And electricity, to charge the devices. Don't need airconditioning. Is it possible to find something like this, for 1 person? Didn't find much online, it's usually for 2 persons only.

Any thoughts, recommendations and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Btw, I would be based in Rijeka and this is meant to be just a 3-4 day excursion. Most, most likely (99 %) on my own. Other excursions have already been planned so I really can't afford anything fancy. Besides, I'll be riding and swimming most of the day(s).

Cheers,

Srđan

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Red plovidbe:

www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1546

Mali otoci su lijepi ali puteva za biciklizam praktično nema.

Ako si na Rijeci istražuj okolna brda i Sjeverni Velebit.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Jadrolinijin sajt sam već gledao, ali šta god kliknem u meniju, samo mi otvori prvu stranu. No, oni staju samo na glavnim, velikim ostrvima, mene interesuju manja. Sad, ako baš nema staza, onda je bezveze, ali video sam neke slike na gEarth sa fantastičnim stazama oivičenim onim suhozidom. Osim toga, biciklom može da se ide i preko travnatog terena, ne mora da bude baš staza. U Beogradu postoji više čamac-taxi linija oko Ade Ciganlije i po Savi i Dunavu, pa sam se nadao da nešto slično potoji i na Lošinju.

U Rijeci i okolini sam već obišiao i snimio praktično sve. Ostaju mi samo Kostrena i Bakarac, Fužine i Lokve, plus još malo po Istri (to je sve već planirano).

Ulladulla, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Ferry timetable for Croatian Islands can be found at croatiaferries.com/croatia-islands-ferries.h…

I do not know if you would be able to take a bike on board.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Thanks Lisa, I've already found info and some pricelist for bicycles so it should be possible. Hope nothing changes this summer...

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

From Rijeka to Cres/Lošinj only floater is hydrofoil/speedboat which does not accept bikes (at any Jadnolinija line) .As they are,or without wheels off,wrapped up,boxed,on the postcard,diluted in turbo acid - still no go.To me the background of such cyclophobia is unclear.

Bikes on car ferries (Brestova,Valbiska) cost as much as passengers.With wheels off they are considered luggage and all combined up to 20kg goes for free.Before ticket purchase have a word with deck crew.

High season+short stay+cyclist+Serbia.Bad,bad combo.Try self sufficiency.Tent,sleeping bag.

No idea of commuter boats to other small rocks.Guess for right amount anything is doable.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

I'm sure I've seen the pricelist for Rijeka-Mali Lošinj which says 20 kn for bicycles (+60 for myself) but I can't find it anymore. It could've been some outdated document or I was tired and looking at the Brestova terms and conditions. :) Anyway, thank you both very much for pointing this out.

Kefa, do you know if I can bring my bicycle aboard with me in Brestova, keeping it by my side at all times? I don't mind paying 23 kn, I do mind leaving it. :) And is it a problem getting such ticket in high season (no car, just me and my bike)? Also, in that combo of yours, which end of the list is the worst? ;) Just kidding, I would never expect anything bad because I'm a Serb.

Actually, these days, I am considering a very light + very cheap tent (impossible). But the problem is - I need to recharge the batteries overnight.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Bike on a ferry stays with cars for practical & safety reasons (and finally because the crew says so).Ferry tickets are never an issue for a bike regardless the size,regardless the season.

Cheap,light,weatherproof tent does not exist but you can always improvise some sort of tarp which can be effective,ultra light ,$10 alternative http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/15041

Solar power?Or have a 3hr cup of tea charging in the bar.

If you go back (to Rijeka via) Brestova prepare your legs & lungs for cry.Going back over Valbiska is much smoother.

PS Before you go over the cliff with over planning,too much information,tech obsession....relax,enjoy the ride (and remember Gleb Travin.)

Edited: 2:30 pm, April 11, 2013
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

Hahaha, what a BRILLIANT idea for charging! :) You're a genius! Took me 5 min to get it. :) Not sure you can find sockets all around in bars but a brilliant option which must be explored. :) Solar is usually useless as it takes forever to charge anything. And tarps require a sleeping bag and a walking stick but there are some other options to be explored (like Sierra Designs' paw bivy).

I do know about Brestova :) so the plan was to come back to Rijeka via Krk and Bakarac. Though the traffic around Bakarac can be quite tricky. But the worst problem now is leaving the bike on a ferry. That's something I wasn't counting on. It doesn't matter if it's a general rule all around the world. I don't think it's the risk I'm willing to take.

Thanks again for all the invaluable info.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

What risk?Someone with commercial bolt cutter will throw bike over and pedal away?That ferry you get paranoid about is nothing like intercontinental maze-behemoth ( Costa Concordia.) It is just a steel raft with ramp, side protection and the bridge.That ferry is your (only) friend not a problem at all.

There are other kinetic ways to charge up but solar works fine even with clouds and after sundown.It can store energy and direct charge basic USB/AA electronics.( to charge laptops,SLR / video cameras,dishwasher you need something else) https:/…

Bakarac,great deal of the Krk,everything before Rijeka is under heavy traffic.Brestova -Brseč-Lovran is much better but heads up on that after-ferry wall experience.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Around the island(s) on a bike in high season?

I've watched as Air France dropped my suitcase from 10 m while loading cargo. And I have no reason to believe ferry staff handle bikes with great care. So I don't think someone would ride away my bike across the sea. But with a bike that's too valuable I simply won't risk any damage. Ie, damaging spokes or rear derailleur is extremly easy to do and it would make the bike unusable and the entire trip would've been in vain. Not to mention the new derailleur is 50+ EUR (and another 10 for someone to pick me up with a car).

And even without explaining myself, even if I happen to worry for absolutely no reason, you really can't just call me paranoid.

As for the batteries, I don't use any device with regular AA(A) type but Li-Ion. Also, I know people who have tried solar chargers and simply didn't get anywhere. Even with direct sunlight, it took more than 10 hours. I will get one of those USB power banks soon but there are just too many batteries. It will provide me no more than 1 day of socket-free riding. I also plan to get a cheap chinese Android notebook, to copy data from SD cards to USB hard drive and potentially use it as another power bank but still... And 1 battery for GoPro is ~25 EUR so can't really get any more. Also, additional battery for my camera is 50 EUR so again, I'm stuck.

I really appreciate your constructive input and the will to help. I know it may sound easy but it's not. I will surely try that 3 h tea :) but there are many obstacles for a multi-day socket-free riding. So far, quality solutions have all been far beyond my budget.

Get answers to your questions about Mali Losinj