We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from AC to BWI

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from AC to BWI

I am trying to print off directions for our upcoming trip and have some questions.

According to Google maps, the shortest drive is thru Philly and Wilmington down to Baltimore. But, I was wondering about the drive along the coast to Lewes and thru Annapolis and up to Baltimore. Google maps says this takes almost five hours. I understand there is a ferry, which we kinda want to do (we don't have ferries in Oklahoma, lol) so that will take some time. Is it worth the long drive? Our flight leaves at 5:20pm, so we would have to leave no later than 9, earlier if we want to stop anywhere.

We will be coming into AC from Harrisburg thru Philly, so really would like to see something different. Is there a cool place to stop and eat along the coast?

If the drive is not worth the added time, what would be the one place to stop along the other route?

Opinions?

Thank you!!!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

I highly reccomend the Cape May ferry, if you can do it. I love it as it's unique, you can relax while someone else pilots the ship, and you can often see dolphins frolicking in the wake at the bow of the ship. And if you go the other route, Williamsburg Inn on Rt40 outside Balto http://www.whitemarshwilliamsburginn.com/ it's a restaurant attached to a motor lodge built in the 40s or 50s, but it's a nice place with colonia stylel decor and furniture. I haven't had their crabcakes since the new owners, but my Mom has and still loves their crabcakes

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

If you have the time go ahead and enjoy the ferry. There are some old school eastern shore crab houses, just before you cross the bay bridge into Annapolis, and of course annapolis itself is worth some time.

try to leave earlier so you are not rushed

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

Thank you! Yes, a crab house is exactly what I would love to have lunch at. Any in particular I should look for? Do you thinking leaving AC around 7am would be ok? We will have to have time to return the rental car and check in the airline for a 5:20 flight and we will def want to stop for lunch.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

It'll take about 45min [or less] to Cape May, leaving AC at 7am. I guess 10 more minutes to get to the ferry. I suggest posting for recomendations in Annapolis forum for lunch suggestions. And I do know of a restaurant on a marsh/bay that has a crabhouse that is like 10+ miles from AC http://oystercreekinnnj.com/ It's at the end of a dirt road, so if you don't have time to eat there, stop by just to sit at the ship~shaped bar

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

As mentioned above, if you can, the Cape May- Lewes Ferry is a great, relaxing boat ride. About 7-10 minutes away/south from Lewes, DE. (where you get off the Ferry) is Ed's Crab Shack (Highway 1 & Swedes Street, Dewey Beach, DE) a small outdoor Shack, where you order your crabs at a window and then eat outside on a wooden picnic table. Nothing fancy, but a true unique crab eating experience!Enjoy!

yelp.com/biz/eds-chicken-and-crabs-dewey-bea…

http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

Kent Island, the town is Chester, along rt 301 before Annapolis, You might try thier forum for the best place based on local knowledge. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so from the ferry in Lewes to there, so you will have plenty of time

Washington
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

Driving along Rt. 50 West (before the Bay Bridge), there is a fantastic restaurant located along the Kent Island area in Grasonville, Md.; it is called Harris Crab House at Exit 42A. Here is the link for it:

http://www.harriscrabhouse.com/

I think you will be extremely pleased!

Edited: 3:38 pm, July 24, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

The only real catch to using the ferry is that if you are taking a car you need to make reservations for it. At least when I have done the ferry the car portion of the ferry has always been full. The ferry trip is very nice and I could do it many many times (always without a car).

Maryland
Level Contributor
514 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

Google is wrong.The shortest drive is AC EXpry to Jersey TPK to 95S. You can do it in a little over 2.5 hrs, traffic permitting. Done it many,many times. If you are looking for a scenic drive and a nice place to eat then the ferry is the way to go but if its Point A to Point B then would not reccomend.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
421 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from AC to BWI

Taking the ferry is nice, but I agree with StevieR -- the best/fastest drive from AC to Baltimore is the AC Expressway to NJ Turnpike (at Runnemead), then 95 south. That's one drive I can do in my sleep!

If you decide to take the ferry and want to stop for lunch before you go over the Bay Bridge, I can recommend The Narrows, Bridges, and Fisherman's Inn, all very close together in Stevensville.